Chinchilla Trances?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefscott

Just curious if it is normal for a chinchilla to go into a state of trance from time to time? My gus does this sort of trance thing at least 5 to 6 times a day where he will stand up on hind legs and cock his head to the side and be completely still but at the same time his body starts to sway or lean back and then its if he catches his self and snaps out of it and back to wild crazy gus, even in his dust bath he does it, sometimes I think he is gonna fall all the way back but he hasnt yet, its almost as if he is trying to be quiet or hide but he does it right out in the open or even in my hand when im holding him, so weird, anyone ever hear of this behaivior? thanks

That's how they look when they are plotting to take over the house. Also, they can sleep with their eyes open, he might just be dozing off and waking himself when he starts to fall over.

He's probably just sleeping. Since chins are prey animals, they have the ability to sleep with their eyes open 0 it's safer that way. You chin may do this less and less as it begins to feel safe in its home.

Latest posts

Back