Chinchilla too active to manageable hold?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheech

Hey everyone my names Dan. I just got my first chinchilla Cheech from his breeder 4 days ago! He's about 8 1/2 weeks old. He's actually really comfortable with his new surroundings and myself as well. He jumps onto my hand to get picked up and doesn't mind a soft pet at the same time ! (He's such a good boy)
smile.gif

But it's about 8:20 pm at the moment and I noticed when I do the usual "hop on my hand" thing with him. He's really active and is almost about to jump out of his cage or run across on arm haha. (his cage is leveled so he would get hurt from the fall)

I know they are suppose to be active during the night time. So is it possible to manageable hold them during this time of night? He tries to slowly climb out of my hands and stuff.. And I tend not to hold him tight at all because I'm worried I'll hurt/scare him.

Attachments

• 20131015_193428_LLS.jpg
    20131015_193428_LLS.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20131014_145659.jpg
    20131014_145659.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20131014_152254.jpg
    20131014_152254.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 37
Some chins are just not the cuddle type of chins I suppose? Or perhaps he's still trying to get use to you since it hasn't even been a month. Give it some time!! :)

chins arnt always a cuddly type of pet. All of mine always want down to run around, so if i manage to actually hold them, they are always looking for a way out. And you have to be careful about holding tightly cause they are fragile. With how slippery they can be when it comes to escaping, most peoples first instinct is to hold tighter. But that can end up injuring the pet. So be careful.

The fact that he jumps onto your hand is a good sign because it shows that he is curious. Curiosity grows into friendliness. Just give him lots of time and continue to be gentle. The more time you spend with him, the friendlier he will become. You are on the right track! =o)

Well different chinchilla has different personality. One of my chinchilla is fine with being held but my other one hates to be held. He does everything to run away from being held and when you hold him he does everything to escape.

As others have said, my chin will only jump onto me when she wants to be let of the cage or is looking for some tasty rosehips hehe. But the fact that he seems comfortable with jumping onto your hands so soon is a great sign! You can absolutely let him do that as long as you're careful (since chins are very fragile), and to not let him fall or jump out of the cage.

He's very cute, by the way! My chin's name is Cheech as well. ;)

Wow, an itty bitty! Congrats! You are doing a great job. He seems really friendly and is trusting you already. Go slow.

I realize he's little and can't have playtime til about 6 months, but just some advice for the future, when I have super active chins at the rescue that are so squirmy they can't be held, I will let them out for playtime for a bit and then try to hold them. Often they work out some energy running around and then can be held for a bit longer.

Latest posts

Back