Chinchilla Toilet Training

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siany

Ive just made some fleece liners for the cage and have placed a littler box for the girlies to pee in, i used KD pine cat litter to fill it (my cats wont use the stuff so i saved it for the chinnies)....Well the chinnies love the fleece but they are confused about where to pee. They seem to think the litter tastes yummy and they dont look too keen on the idea of having a pee on the fleece.

Im hoping they will get used to the idea of having to use a litter tray but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas ???

They have been used to a mesh ish type of flooring to pee through the bars, but after Dottys fall i wanted extra padding and the try and make their home a little safer. I was thinking about the oven trays with the rack that drains the fat from the meat and using the litter with that... What do you think ??

The tray sort of like this but smaller:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/HORWOOD-STA...2I22/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1314230855&sr=8-6

the rack in those pans sits so low in the pan, i think it would be covered with shavings (in order to have enough shavings to soak up the pee), wouldn't it? i guess you could try it with just a smattering of shavings in the bottom for now, to get them used to the idea, then remove the rack once they know the pan is their pee spot.

never seen anyone use something like that, but worth a try, eh?

I put some litter that they had urinated on already in the new shavings in the litter box when I trained mine. One took to it immediately, and the other one used his, but he likes to pee everywhere. But that's how I started out. I'm using the same method with my new female too. Good luck!

Thanks everyone :) Ive got a ceramic dish to put the litter in, i havnt seen any pee on the fleece so far so they are either using the litter or going under the fleece. Im just going to keep at it and have a look if i can find where there "spot" is tonight. I was also thinking about putting some newspaper under the littler to seem if that would encourage them, i think both had paper used with previous owners so im just trying to figure out how to encourage them. :)

potty training

I would only use either fleece or aspen or kd pine bedding in the litter pan(preferably glass not plastic)..I would stay away from paper products as it could cause impaction in your chin if he/she should eat it...place the pan where you see the most urine at in the cage.. a chin will continue to poo all over the cage as they dont control their poos...never use cat litter it can make your chin sick!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back