Chinchilla Tea?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pants567

*note I have not done this, just wondering about it*
So I've been looking through chin safe treats and some of them I've noticed are tea ingredients (ingredients that are often found in tea) and it got me thinking about tea for chinchillas. I also saw "bunny tummy tea" on binky bunny's website. So I was wondering if giving tea (made from all organic ingredients picked from a mixture of things used in chin supplements, no sugar or honey or milk obviously, cooled as well) as a "treat"/supplement has been done? I know chins don't NEED treats but it was just an interesting thought so I figured I'd ask if anyone has done this or if it would be considered unsafe? The only two ways I could even think of administering such a thing would either be via syringe or mini water bottle. :hmm:

i wouldn't. don't know if it would be unsafe, but i figure if a chin gets it in his head that a yummy liquid comes from a water bottle, then they might expect it all the time and refuse to drink their regular water. via syringe would work for chins that don't mind being hand-fed, but from my reading, chins sometimes barely tolerate it even with burrito wrapping.

other reason i wouldn't is because chins and chewing go hand in hand. i'd rather see my boys chawing away at a rosehip than drinking rosehip tea.

Fuzzier kingdom treats , smell like tea to me I'm sure some of them u could add water to thimble and bit of the stress relieving supplement is possible ( if they were stressed)

But like chinnymom said if rather mine chew, your get the benefit of teeth wear

No, do not add water, just the dried herbs. Do you really want to run the high risk it will go into their lungs which could cause URI?

Last edited:
Hmm, I didn't even think about the risk of it going into their lungs! He loves chewing so I'll just keep to the dried stuff which I know is safe. Thanks for the thoughts.

Chamomile tea can be used to encourage constipated chins to drink, it helps soothe the diagestive tract and can have a calming effect on rescues. You hang a second bottle in the cage. I would not give it to a "normal" chin, only when needed.

Thanks for the tip Dawn! When I read about the tummy tea for rabbits it seemed it was used for upset tummys and to soothe the digestive tract so I guess it makes sense that it would do the same for chins.

i use an organic dried herbal mixture that i mix myself. many of the herbs could be used in teas but the ones i use are way fresher. i wouldnt just open a tea bag and give them to my chins. you also have to be very careful with herbs. i did a lot of research and consulted with a couple members before jumping in. my mix also has the traditional treats of crushed rosehips, oats, hay dust, etc..... and one of the main ingredients is dried flowers, several kinds but my chins just love love love them some driet rose petals!

Back