Chinchilla sounds like a newborn baby

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma

I have listened carefully to all the sounds in the website referenced, and not one of them relate to how my female talks - I really wish I could understand what she was doing.

I have only witnessed her barking, squeaking (with other chins, the communication), and she sometimes wails when I wake her up.

But sometimes I will be laying down, and out of no where hear a "newborn crying" type of sound, and look over to see Gemma perched on a lava ledge, I watched her carefully (and just like my bird) she just imitates a newborn cry, and she will do this numerous times .. she is in no danger, healthy, and completely content. She will do this for a few minutes, stop when I look at her, and then continue a few more times.

Does anyone experience this too?

Could you record her next time she does it and link us a video of it? I've never heard my chinchillas make any noise aside from barking and chattering amongst themselves.

She's just trying to get your attention. I have a lot of weanlings that do that and a few adults that will make newborn baby cries at me to get my attention.

She is making the same sound as your bird?? Maybe she is parroting the parrot? As I have said before my Joey moans and groans like a haunted house actor lol

I have had several adults make that kit cry. I always get up to look, even though I know there probably isn't a kit in that particular cage. You never know when someone will surprise you.

I think that is what Inca does, but I refered to it as a dog whining! I was told that he just wanted attention.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I do agree, and beleive she is seeking attention.

I will try to video record her making the sound, just its a hard task being it is a completely random act! x)

Latest posts

Back