Chinchilla sizes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finallygotachilla

Been looking for a companion for my female chinchilla and seen a couple of females at my local pet store. Only trouble is they are about twice the size of mine. Mine is almost a year old. The pet store said that they are from the same litter and are around 15 months old but they are massive compared to mine. Not really sure what to do. I was gonna have another female chinchilla sectioned off in the same very large cage (3 stories) so that they could see and sniff each other to get used to each other that way without the immediate contact. I considered getting the two from the pet store as i thought it would be unkind to seperate them. despite me only wanting one, and the store having them for many months they weren't prepared to do a deal for the two so that they were cheaper.

I guess what im asking apart from your opinions is why mine is so small.

Thanks

Here is a pic of her so you have an idea of her size.
5154b7317564448.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Also one on her wheel which shows is much bigger then her

Whether or not chins get along depends mostly on their personalities. Some chins get along with others, some only get along with certain other chins, some don't like others at all.

If you want a friend for your chinchilla, don't get one from the pet store. I would reccomend one from a serious breeder. You could ask for a smaller one. It happens that breeders sell chins only as pets and not for breeding because of their size (at least at my country). Since smaller chins aren't so good for breeding, they will be probably cheeper but I am not sure about that...
But really, dont get a chin from the pet store. It could be sick and could infect your healthy chin...

Unfortunately where i live theres no breeders, non locally anyway,
and the ones i've seen are within a garden centre and are healthy and checked regularly similar to petsathome which i also have in my city.

Well, if it is so... but I would recommend a health check and to check their droppings... just to make sure :)
You avoid so a lot of trouble...

Their personalities are much more important than their size, don't let that deter you. I know you don't have any locally you said, but I would consider asking the pet store if they buy from a breeder that's semi local or finding the closest one possible. I find that you and your current chin will be more likely to bond with a younger one provided by a breeder then from a pet store.

I agree with stray, chinchillas usually do best introduced to a YOUNG chinchilla. They can DEFINITELY be paired with another chinchilla of any age/size so long as both like each other. You'll just have less problems (in general) trying to introduce a young chinchilla (under 6mos) to an adult (which yours is). Perhaps you could ask your pet store when they will have "babies" in.

Latest posts

Back