Chinchilla Safe Toys?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babygirllllll

Three questions:

1. Are wooden bird toys safe to use as chin chew toys?

2. I keep seeing a bunch of chin chews made out of popsicle sticks. Are these safe? If so, can I get popsicle sticks from the craft store and make my own?

This isn't toys, but still curious:

3. In making homemade ledges, what type of wood do I get from the lumber store? And does the wood need to be 'treated' like chews do? (scrubbing, boiling, baking, etc) And lastly, can I use this wood to make homemade chew toys?

Any other suggestions for toys and fun? Kind of on a budget, but I want my little ones to enjoy themselves. Really not looking to pay more than $3-$5 per toy.

1. Most "wooden" bird toys are safe BUT pay attention to the woods used as there could be one that is on the Un-safe wood list, you can find the list in the FAQ's. Also, some of the premade wooden bird toys have little plastic balls or nuts in them, those are not good.

2. Some people say that their chins have gotten a splinter or cut with those popsicle sticks. I believe the ones they sell in the craft store are treated and not a good idea for your chins.

3. You can buy kiln-dried pine wood, some are stamped "KD" some are not. You do not have to "prepare" this wood before you make ledges, they do that in the kiln drying process. You can also make toys with this wood.

Latest posts

Back