Chinchilla Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppergurl

So I got a 7 year old chinchilla from a friend a few months back and originally she gave me a everything I needed for him including a brand new cage. I thought the cage was kind of small so when I got the money together about a month after I got him I bought a brand new critter nation cage. Ever since I got this cage he doesn't really want to come out of it. I want to take him out for play time in the hall but he will just go sit in the corner so I can't take him out or run away ( I don't want to chase him because I don't want to scare him). He used to be good with me scratching him but he seems to be more annoyed with me touching him now... any suggestions on how I can get him to warm up to me again? I thought I had been making strides before because he would always come up to me but I seem to be going backwards with him now?

I think Chinchilla's once they get used to their cage consider it their safety net. They get used to it and they take a while to adjust when there is a major change. A new cage is a major change and it will take a while for him to adjust. One thing I did that really helped was when I would walk by their cage I would entice them with a cheerio. Not every time. Maybe one out of three times. Before long they would come to the edge of the cage and be happy to see me. Then I started petting them through the cage and it also made it easier to interact with them during play time. Now I have two Chins that are just awesome. I have a nightly ritual with one. She runs back into her cage after playtime. Then I go over scratch her all over her belly and her neck and behind her ears. Man she just leans into it just like a dog and just loves it. Change sometimes is harder for some Chins than others too. Just hang in there I think he will come around.

Thanks ill start trying that too! I was thinking about getting a second chin so he will have a playmate but I'm unsure if it will be good for him to have another change so soon so I'm going to pass on getting another for the time being!

He could also not want his big cage taken away-a kind of "if i get out i may go back to the tiny one and not get the space again" type of thing (I know rescue dogs it's happened with)

Back