Chinchilla Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanie260904

I was thinking of getting a male and female chinchilla but not as a breeding pair and keep them in separate cages, however, in the same room. My partner seems to think you cant do this as the chinchillas will smell each other and constantly being crying for each other as they are the opposite sex and want to mate is this true?

Thank you for your help.

Yes and no. I have all of my chins caged in the same room out of necessity. I don't notice any overt crying just because opposite sexes are in the room; however, they are animals and the instinct to mate is there whether they are together or apart. Some males are very laid back and couldn't care a less unless they were in the cage with the female. Other males get a bit nutso about it.

If you don't have any intention of breeding, then why go with a male and female? I would get two same sex chins and house them together, providing they get along and introductions are made.

I agree with tunes. Why not just get 2 of the same sex? With both sexes, 1 small mistake and the female will get bred. Cages too close together, play time, an excaped chin.... there are so many ways it could happen.

I agree. I'd just get a same sex pair. For me it would be a hassle with play time (double the play time since they can't come out at the same time..)...etc

Though that could be avoided by just alternating play nights. That's what we tend to do. 4 chins out at the same time just doesn't work for us. and I don't have time to give them all play time each night.

I have single males and females. The boys do "sing" a lot more once girls were in the room. I do have one screamer, and I am assuming he screams when the one opposite him is in heat, as he looks right at her and screams and loud. I ended up with a girl who was told to me to be male, but as it was a long drive to get the chin, I didnt check until I got home.

Otherwise I would have kept to only one gender, but once I had one girl, I just took what came my way.

Back