Chinchilla pregnant weight ? Please help.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickv0195

Nick
I was just wondering the average weight of a pregnant chinchilla. I know that it varies depending on the chinchilla. As some of you may no i've been trying to figure out if my chinchilla Tilly is pregnant. I was finally able to get to a store that sells gram scales and Tilly weighed in at 805 grams. I was also wondering if at a certain point in a chinchilla pregnancy if they stop gaining weight each day ? Because i don't know how far along Tilly is if she's pregnant because it wasn't a planned pregnancy. So just some questions please help.

There is no average weight. Weight is affected by the size of the litter and size of the chinchilla I have had them gain 20 grams and deliver twins and gain 200 grams and deliver twins there really is no average gain

Edited to add. The best thing you can do is prepare for the birth and try to not worry. What is done is done and there is no stopping it at this point. If she is pregnant she will have the kits if she is not then there will be no kits weighing her and worrying is just causing both of you stress that is unecessary. There is nothing you can do to change the situation so just prepare yourself for the event. Chances are you won't even see it, or be there. Most of the time when I have kits I come home and they are there.

Last edited:
oh okay thanks, well i heard that a pregnant female would gain weight every day if she's pregnant, so i was just wondering if after a certain amount time through the pregnancy she stops gaining. But it's also not stressful for her being weighed it's a small digital scale that i put in her cage and put a treat on it and she just sits there as it reads her weight. No stress. I wasn't to sure about kits at first, but now i'm really excited about it if she's pregnant im looking forward every day coming home to see if theres kits in there. I just love my chinchillas :)

She is separated from the male, right Nick? Also, make sure she is in a baby safe cage. I know you removed the ledges but also check the wire spacing.

A very short time before they give birth they will stop gaining and even drop a little weight. The only thing anyone can tell you, if you don't have experience with chin births is that you'll know she's pregnant when there are babies in the cage. Just be diligent and make sure she doesn't get bred again.

okay. I just don't think it's close because i can't see her nipples yet. So i just wish it was easier, because i've been buying a lot of stuff to prepare for the pregnancy and everyday i find out i need more stuff , and this stuff isn't cheep.

All a pregnant female needs is a baby safe cage, good feed and hay and fresh water. You need a scale and some goats milk and baby cereal. I am not sure what else you think you need. My females are pretty much cared for the same as my males. everyone gets weighed once a month and good food and hay and fresh water.
What all are you buying to prepare?

well i had to get the syringe just incase for nursing reasons which was $15 , tehn i had to get new bedding that the kits won't eat which is more money, and the scale was $32 . I mean i love buying stuff for my chinchillas, i just which i could know 100%.

All a pregnant female needs is a baby safe cage, good feed and hay and fresh water. You need a scale and some goats milk and baby cereal. I am not sure what else you think you need. My females are pretty much cared for the same as my males. everyone gets weighed once a month and good food and hay and fresh water.
What all are you buying to prepare?

My syringes cost .18 cents Nick. I don't know where you got yours, but you got ripped off. What kind of syringe did you get? I would return it and go to your local vets office or a pharmacy, and as I told you before, ask for a 1 mL insulin syringe with no needle. I just bought 30 of them and it was under $6.00.

not to be an echo, but I also got my syringes from my vet. Do you have a vet for your chins? If you don't I suggest you get one in case there are any difficulties if your chin is pregnant.

Back