Chinchilla Play Pen help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rush

I was trying to find an enclosed play pen that was tall enough I could sit in comfortably to enjoy play time with my new chin, and I saw another post where several of you suggested the pop up play pens for dogs, but I found another that looks like it would be taller but still safe for chin play time under close supervision of course and I was wondering what the rest of you thought since I am new to chins and chin safety. here is a link to what I found.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KWHE1E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1GEXJSK0HHJTP

The only thing I'm worried about is that it's too much like a tent, where it needs to be anchored to the ground at some point. Since it is unsafe to have chins outside that wouldn't work.

no I wouldn't even think of having my chin outside, it is for in the house, my house is no where near chin safe so I was looking for the biggest play pen available to have in my house where she could safely run and get exercise everyday and still have it tall enough so I could sit in with her while she plays and runs around.

The bathroom is free. :) If you don't want to invest in a playpen right now, many people clean up their bathrooms, close their toilet lids, put away chemicals and brushes, and let their chins go at it in there. Plenty of room for you to sit and read while they use you as a playground too.

I considered that but I have one of those bathrooms where you could sit on the toilet and wash your face in the sink, not really much room for chin play but a good temporary solution :thanks4:. I do have one of those white metal play pens, I don't know the brand name, it's one I've had for years from when I had rabbits as a kid, but she clears that easily and is on the loose before I can blink.

I read the reviews and it sounds awesome. One owner says that when you open it, it just pops into shape and its easy to fold back down! Wow, now you got me thinking about it :hmm: I'm thinking that the anchors are just so it doesnt blow away outside, so it dont need them indoors. Great find!

I read the reviews and it sounds awesome. One owner says that when you open it, it just pops into shape and its easy to fold back down! Wow, now you got me thinking about it :hmm: I'm thinking that the anchors are just so it doesnt blow away outside, so it dont need them indoors. Great find!

Thank you, that's what I was thinking, and since it's all see through if I do have her in there without me I would still have full visibility if anything were to go wrong. It seemed just like the puppy play pen, except bigger, gives more visibility, and less expensive.

This is what I just bought for my two girls actually. They loved it. My boyfriend and I could both sit in it, although we kind of had to hunch over, he had to do that a lot more, since he is much taller than me. Haha. I'm also pretty sure I could lay down inside of there, I'm like 5'3. So it is pretty spacey.
But, it was so fun, they would crawl and hop all over us and still had plenty of room to run and play around us. It is very easy to pop up and it comes down super easy as well.

This was their first play time outside of the cage, since they are both young'uns. Heh. But, they would kind of run into the sides of the tent, I guess they thought they could just go thru the walls and be out in the living room. It took them a few head bonks to figure out they had to stay in the tent.

Just make sure to keep an eye on them if you get this though, mine wanted to taste test the mesh. And I had to shoo them away from doing that a few times. But, after a bit they stopped worrying about the mesh and just enjoyed playing.

I actually bought mine from this site :
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22274

Figures it would be cheaper on Amazon & the site I bought it from is now having a sale! Just my luck! Hah.

This is what I just bought for my two girls actually. They loved it. My boyfriend and I could both sit in it, although we kind of had to hunch over, he had to do that a lot more, since he is much taller than me. Haha. I'm also pretty sure I could lay down inside of there, I'm like 5'3. So it is pretty spacey.
But, it was so fun, they would crawl and hop all over us and still had plenty of room to run and play around us. It is very easy to pop up and it comes down super easy as well.

This was their first play time outside of the cage, since they are both young'uns. Heh. But, they would kind of run into the sides of the tent, I guess they thought they could just go thru the walls and be out in the living room. It took them a few head bonks to figure out they had to stay in the tent.

Just make sure to keep an eye on them if you get this though, mine wanted to taste test the mesh. And I had to shoo them away from doing that a few times. But, after a bit they stopped worrying about the mesh and just enjoyed playing.

I actually bought mine from this site :
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22274

Figures it would be cheaper on Amazon & the site I bought it from is now having a sale! Just my luck! Hah.

Lol I actually ordered the last one amazon had, but I've had quite the time trying to get it to my house, first fed ex lost the order but marked it as delivered anyways and just waited for me to figure out they weren't getting it to me, then I had to go back through amazon and get them to find me another, they finally did that, now UPS is having trouble finding my house. But hopefully it's all cleared up and it will be here tomorrow.

She is so full of energy because she has had no way to burn it off, she'll probably be bouncing off the walls the whole time lol. She's so happy to see me every time I open the cage door she wall surfs off the cage walls and me, she's definitely ready for some much needed play time.

I will definitely keep a close eye on her while she's in there, the only thing I've found that she doesn't chew and ingest is fleece, but I've not tried mesh yet, but either way I love sitting with her while she plays so it won't be an inconvenience at all if I have to watch her every second she's in there.

for a "playpen" i use a four baby gates hooked together.
lean one side against the wall and then lean the otherside against our 55 gal tank that is filled with their hay.
that way we're able to sit in there with them.
and we can do whatever we want with the play area because it's so big.

for a "playpen" i use a four baby gates hooked together.
lean one side against the wall and then lean the otherside against our 55 gal tank that is filled with their hay.
that way we're able to sit in there with them.
and we can do whatever we want with the play area because it's so big.

They don't jump out of the baby gates?

My girls used to jump the baby gates and I spent all of playtime trying to stop them. Wasn't fun to fuss them all the time. Have the ware playpen now and couldn't be happier.

Lol I actually ordered the last one amazon had, but I've had quite the time trying to get it to my house, first fed ex lost the order but marked it as delivered anyways and just waited for me to figure out they weren't getting it to me, then I had to go back through amazon and get them to find me another, they finally did that, now UPS is having trouble finding my house. But hopefully it's all cleared up and it will be here tomorrow.

She is so full of energy because she has had no way to burn it off, she'll probably be bouncing off the walls the whole time lol. She's so happy to see me every time I open the cage door she wall surfs off the cage walls and me, she's definitely ready for some much needed play time.

I will definitely keep a close eye on her while she's in there, the only thing I've found that she doesn't chew and ingest is fleece, but I've not tried mesh yet, but either way I love sitting with her while she plays so it won't be an inconvenience at all if I have to watch her every second she's in there.

Oh my! Well hopefully you get it sent to you soon. I would be so mad. I always get excited when I know I have a package coming, especially when its something for the girls.

It was my girl's first time out of the cage as well, and they went crazy. :) Its so cute how they enjoy the little things that way. Haha.

And, I would suggest to give them a limited play time the first time out. Mine were only out for about 30 minutes, if that, and I noticed they would start laying down, I freaked out because I thought they had over-heated. So, I put them back in their cage with their granite tiles that had been in the freezer and each one laid on a half of it, they were on them for probably a good 5-10 minutes. I was so worried & I felt bad because they got too hot. So, maybe give them a way to cool down in their playpen. I think next time I let them out, I'll put the granite tiles in there with them.. just so they have that option.

Well I do have the marshall play pen, and the first play time went well, she wall surfed the bars and bounced all over me, but the second time I tried to let her out in it she decided it wasn't good enough and jumped out, and trying to catch her that day I scared the bejeezus out of her and it was another two days before she would come to me and jump on my shoulder again. I felt so bad about it that I didn't want to get her out and risk that happening again. I don't have any granite squares yet, but I will make sure I have an ice pack frozen flat in case anything happens.

I was very upset by the time I realized what had happened. I waited by my door for two days so I wouldn't miss it.

Since I don't have any granite squares at the moment, I remember we used to freeze 2 liters of water for our rabbits, so that if they got to hot they could lean against them or get on top of them. Do you think that would work for the time being?

you can use a frozen water bottle and put a piece of fleece over it :)
we do that every once in awhile if our chins don't wanna lay on the tile

That one I didnt end up getting because it was too big I got this one instead:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ABI82O/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

its cheaper than the ware pop up by a lot (even if you go for the large it is still about $20 cheaper) and only 7" shorter in diameter which ended up being really great still for ernie! It was a little on the short side to sit in it with the top zipped up but what I also like about it is that it would be easy to clip a bunch of these together at the zipped doors and make a giant house like structure! :)

The bottom didnt come off of this one like the ware does but I ended up finding out that Ernie likes to scratch at the edges if Im not in there with him! This would have meant an escaped chinchilla for me. The pop up ones are great if you dont want to sit on an uncomfortable bathroom floor

Back