Chinchilla peace?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy~Caitlyn

I've read that Chinchilla's should be housed so that they are part of the family, but also that they require peace and quiet for sleeping.
Before my kits come I want to resolve potential problems like this one.
I live alone(ish), I have visiting Support Workers but no children. I share my home with my 4 cats and my doorbell barks like a dog.
I don't play loud music or have tv/radio on loudly though one or other is background for most of my waking hours.
Would this be too noisy for a Chinchilla's sleep time? I could wheel the cage into my bedroom during the day, but am concerned that this would be disturbing having a change of environment.
Will the sound of the vacuum cleaner distress my Chin?
Thanks for reading

I don't see any issues there. My vacuum runs twice a day up around under the cages cause my fluffballs like to fling everything. Poop food hay it alll goes out the cage.

I play hard rock and metal in my house. As long as it's not teenager loud you will be fine.

It doesn't have to be completely quiet, so long as they have sometime to sleep during the day without loud noise. Chins sleep during the hottest and coolest parts of the day, so middle of the day and middle of the night. They are similar to a cat in that they will wake and nap through out the day and night.

Chins can hear within our hearing range (they are commonly used for hearing research) so most actually enjoy watching tv and listening to music, just not too loud, normal listening volume. My two are in my office/computer room where I am most of the day and regularly listen to music, watch Netflix, and play video games. They are about an arms length away from my computer (small room) and none of that bothers them. Oddly enough mine even seem to enjoy heavy metal! lol, they sit up to listen and will popcorn around the cage.

It depends on the chins though, some are more fearful and others are more brave. So long as you aren't making huge amounts of loud noise the chins will get use to it, especially if it's an everyday noise. I use a loud shopvac to clean in and around the cage and they ignore it (my cats freak though, lol). I wouldn't worry about moving them to the bedroom during the day unless they seem stressed or you are having a lot of guests over. They require similar social interaction as a parrot so it's best to have them where ever you are going to be.

I think my chin missed the memo that said chins sleep in the day! She most definitely doesn't sleep all day, she's awake the second I open the curtains in the morning and begging to come out all day long whenever she sees me. The only time she sleeps during the daytime is if she's been running for ages around the house and worn herself out, at which point, when I put her back in her cage she promptly flops down on one of the shelves and nods off like a a baby put down for a nap:D.

Thanks Amethyst. I try to be considerate of my upstairs neighbour so never have anything on loud. It's working as she's the same :~)
Lots of visitors is not a problem as I wouldn't cope either, I feel more Chinchilla with each posting :~)
My cats freak at vacuum despite having been born in BIL's home and heard it all their lives!
I'll def cage in living room then, cats sleep in their own room. Sounds grand, it's actually the tiny area between living room and bathroom where boiler is stored. Just room for 4 scratching towers that fit together providing spaces for 4 food bowls on bottom level, 1 shared dish on middle level and 4 platforms on top. Water bowl and two litter trays. It has it's own window with a deep sill that has a cushion and pillows. From choice they've slept here since we moved into the flat. So I know Chin(s) will be ok overnight and if I'm out. I've read that they like tv on low in the night too.

Back