Chinchilla - Not eating, drinking, lethargic & bit of teeth grinding - please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneyc8063

Chinchilla - Not eating, drinking, lethargic & bit of teeth grinding - please help!

I have been a long time lurker reading lots of threads on this forum for chinchilla help and advice and sadly I am now in dire need of advice.

I have a chinchilla that will be 4 years old next month

Sunday I gave her a dust bath and refilled her water bottle as usual

I noticed when I went to bed she was not up and about on her wheel or nibbling on hay or pellets as usual which I thought was odd and dozed off

Monday morning I noticed she totally did not touch or drink anything all night

I stayed home from work to watch her for the day and she just was totally lethargic lying on her side with all 4 legs sticking out to one side.

Monday night I took her to an exotic vet (Dr Munn) to have her checked out

I left my chin with her over night for observation and in the hopes of her recovering by the next day. If she did not recover I was ready to tell the vet to take xrays and blood work, but only if she did not recover.

Tuesday morning I called in to check the status of my baby, and was advised that she was receptive to hand feeding and taking her meds, as well as seemed a bit more bright eyed. The vet did not think to put her through any more stress and to maybe take her home to watch

Tuesday night (right now as I write this post) i have hand fed her and given her her meds and she is just lying in her little cushy coach grinding her teeth once in a while but not eating or drinking still.

I am located in Toronto, Ontario and brought my chin to Dr Munn

I feed only Oxbow pellets for my chin, as well as timothy hay. She also gets the odd treat of rose hips and I feed nothing else

She is housed on her own on a multi level wire mesh cage with many areas where its a full on flat surface

The vet, as well as myself have "felt her up" for any signs of pain, trauma, discomfort or odd lumps and found nothing.

I was sent home to hand feed her with Oxbow critical care, cisapride and metacam analgesia

I am planning on bringing her back to the vet tomorrow to do the blood work and xrays if there she does not show improvement

-My vet mentioned that she would need to give her something "intramuscular sedation" to get xrays - is this normal?

-Does anyone in Toronto, Ontario Canada have any recommendations for alternative exotic vets?

-Is there something else I can be checking for?

Please please advise, I am at my wits end and have no clue what is going on with her and im dying here

I cant sleep, and cant stop thinking about the worse case scenario. Shes been a blessing and a wonderful little friend that I expected to live with for many years to come.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated

Thank you

I have a chin that Dr Munn amputated the leg on after a break. The chin was surrendered to me after the surgery. That said, I have not dealt with her personally. I know she offered to let my rescue use her clinic as she doesn't have a ton of chin experience and wanted to get more.

I am in Mississauga and go to Dr Warren at Southdown Animal Clinic.

How much Critical Care is your chin getting per day?

Last edited:
Back