Chinchilla Nightmares?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua

Hey guys, just wanted to pop on and ask a quick question... I think it sounds kind of silly but, do chinchillas have nightmares? I have two boys, once every couple days, during the daytime (when I'm here at least, it may be more common but I catch it ~2x a week), one of them will make and extremely loud barking noise. It starts rather high pitched and fluctuates a bit tapering off near the end. This is only every so often and always while they are sleeping (cuddling of course!). Any ideas? They're never EVER upset or anything while awake, and the only thing I can think of is... Maybe a bad dream or something! Hopefully nothing is wrong with... whichever one of them is doing this... Thanks for any input!

Yes, they can definitely have nightmares. They could also be reacting to something outside of their environment that you wouldn't even notice, like the sound of a refrigeration truck. My guys HATE those. OR your presence may have just disturbed their sleep and they decided to protest. I get that a lot when I work from home. You could try turning on the radio for them during the day, or leaving the TV on low. It helps to keep them calm.

I hate nightmares, mine will twitch and chirp and look like they are having seizures or something, when poked they like at you like you should die.....

Mine does that everyday, and it's usually when he's been snoozing no matter if I have music, or the tv going, or no sound at all other than my typing he barks/makes the alarm warning noise. Of afterwards he glares at me like I had something to do with him suddenly being awake then faces his tail to me and dozes off again.

What's worse is if I take a nap the same time he does and he wakes up barking which makes me jump (I'm a light sleeper) so we end up staring at each other like "What just happened?" then try to go back to sleep.

They definitely do, Leeloo gets nightmares regularly, which then spooks Caboose... Miette glares at them afterward and then they all relax again.

Back