Chinchilla & Newborn

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siylvat

Hey everyone. I used to post on here much more frequently. I got a teaching job and new house and have been super busy for a while. So I have been reading some, but not really posting much. We still have our chins and soon will be adding another addition to our household as I am due in November this year!

I do have a small concern. Our house is fairly small, so right now our Chins are in our home office (DH works from home). When the baby is born I will be home for a little while, but when I go back to work we are planning on having a crib in the office so my husband can watch the baby during the day while he works (We are lucky his job is fairly flexible like that).

I am just nervous that the dust is going to bother the baby. Anyone have any experience? Do you think an air purifier would be a good idea?

Thanks!

i cant rly say anything about a baby as i have no idea with them, but i know the dust bothers the heck outa me personally. And that's with an air purifier all ready. (or for right now; an A/C fan filter, an air purifier, and a dust mask. And it still bothers me)

I have no idea how a chin would respond to the crying of a baby in the room. Anyone dealt with that before?

I don't think the crying will bother them too much. We also have two dogs and a bird.Like I said, our house is fairly small (you can hear anything from anywhere), and the barking/squawking don't phase them in the slightest.

Right now the dust is not too bad really. I only notice it after they dust, just worried about a little one who would be more sensitive I guess.

I was going to suggest if you have a small cage you can take outside give them a bath there before bringing them back in. If it's too hot do it early in the morning or night.

Noise mine are used to that, barking, shop vac, etc.

I have a 6 week old and my chins aren't even phased. He has colic and does a lot of crying.

My chins are in a spare bedroom. I wouldn't put the baby in there with them honestly. Too much dust, hay, and fur flying around. I get sneezy when I go in there for long periods of time. With my and my husbands history of allergy and asthma, I don't want to expose him to any of that. I do have an air purifier running but I keep the door closed to their room as well.

Yeah, if we had another place to put them we would, but we literally have no other place for them, except the unfinished basement where I know they would get absolutely no attention. :(

We love them in the office now as we get to see them and interact with them so much more than when they were in the spare bedroom. Now that the spare bedroom is turning into the baby's room, that doesn't work anymore anyway. I'd like to avoid the basement, but I can't see any other option besides where they are now.

You can dust them in the tub or shower. That way you can rinse the dust down the drain and avoid some of it in the same room as the baby. Maybe consider switching to blue sparkle so its not quite as powdery and as easily airborne.....

Latest posts

Back