Chinchilla insurance?!?!?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mable

Chin Mommy :)
So I was doing some research and I believe there is a health and medical insurance for exotic animals/ chinchillas... Im wondering any one has it and how good it is and the name of the company? Thanks

Yeah I had searched it and called to see... I will pull up my paper work later on but the guy told me it would be 12 a month for each chin.. But I would have to had the chin for 3 months( how would they know) which sounded kinda fishy its not like a place u can go and they check your chins for health issues and then give you insurrance..but he said 12 a month for each covers 7000 of medical bills... You ay out of pocket send them the bill and they reimburse you.. :/ I will find the name and post it on here later

Oh and I forgot to add that its for exotic animals ... I googled exotic animal insurance and places came up... Not sure how many are legit

I dont know what any one thinks of this but it just occured to me. What if you just did one male and one female. That way if any of them had a problem you take them in as that chin and their covered. I cant understand paying for each chin when the chances of actually going to the vet are so slim unless there is a pre-existing condition.

dont know if its legal but just a thought.

I dont know what any one thinks of this but it just occured to me. What if you just did one male and one female. That way if any of them had a problem you take them in as that chin and their covered. I cant understand paying for each chin when the chances of actually going to the vet are so slim unless there is a pre-existing condition.

I doubt it's legal, lol, but if they were all the same colored chins it'd probably work. That is, if they take down color, which I'm sure they would.

I am interested in pet insurance for my chins. I don't know much about it. Does anybody else have experience with it?

I doubt it's legal, lol, but if they were all the same colored chins it'd probably work. That is, if they take down color, which I'm sure they would.

DARN! I figured it wasnt but I just cant see buying insurence for all of them when I could possibly never use it. If they go by color Id have to do 4 at the least. I'll just stick with my emergency fund. Ive been putting 10dollars in a month lately so its growing.

Unfortunately, i'm pretty sure that's insurance fraud and could get you in deep poo if they found out.

In addition to insurance fraud, medications are based on weight and prior conditions and why risk anything just to save a couple dollars.

This issue has been brought up before if I recall. You can probably do a search and get a few threads.

I am not sure how much it would be worth it if you are not doing rescues. Most of my chins actually are rescues and out of 9 pets (plus 1 current rescue) only Richie has really incurred any expenses. Sure they were exhorbitant but that is also becasue I took him for a 2nd opinion because the place did digital xrays and at the time my vet did not.
I dont know if he would qualify for insurance since he has a pre existing condition which would be one of my first questions.
Only 1 of my other boys has been to the vet and that cost was minimal as it was just a quick exam.

While insurance sounds like a good idea- here is a quote from their benefits manual. You will see that basically 99% of chinchilla problems are not covered.

This policy will not pay for:

* Internal or external parasites, preventive treatments and diagnostics for or conditions relating to parasites.

* Routine care, examinations, vaccinations.

* Congenital or hereditary defects or diseases
* Elective and maintenance procedures, including but not limited to sexing, cosmetic surgeries, wing clipping, beak filing, nail trims, teeth filing or clipping, removal of leg bands.
* Breeding or conditions relating to breeding.
* Surgical removal of reproductive organs, expression or removal of scent glands.

* Boarding or transport expenses.

* Special diets, pet foods, vitamins, mineral supplements, grooming costs, and bathing (including
medicated baths).

* Diseases preventable by vaccines (unless administered by a veterinarian), within the protocol as defined in
current veterinary references.

* Behavioral problems not listed on Veterinary Services Benefit Schedule, training or therapy.
* Orthodontics, teeth cleaning, polishing, endodontics and removal of deciduous teeth.

* Diagnostic test(s) and treatment(s) for conditions excluded or limited by this policy and complications of
conditions excluded or limited by this policy.
* For ferrets, diagnosis, medical management, or surgical correction of any endocrine tumors, both benign and
malignant, or endocrine hyperplasias of any kind, or associated splenectomy

So... Unless you want insurance for a broken leg or a fight, then this insurance is not going to help you much.

Oh wow. I see why no one has it on the forum. It's really not good for anything! I would be more than willing to pay insurance on my chins if it would actually take care of medical treatment! Thanks for your input. I can see it is a waste of $$$.

Latest posts

Back