Chinchilla "honking" at night

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewChinMomOU

My chinchilla, Leo, has lived with me for about six months in my apartment. His cage is in my room within reasonable distance from my bed. On two occasions, I have awoken to him making a sort of alarming "honking" sounds, in sets of about 2-4 at a time. They are different than the barking sounds he makes when he is angry, and are quite abrupt.

The first time he made this sound, about a month ago, I was taking a nap at an odd hour of the evening. About an hour into my nap, he started making his call. I looked toward his cage to see him sitting in plain sight and making the sound. I got him out of his cage and attempted to comfort him, but he raced out of my arms and went to hide in his "safe place" in my closet. I was eventually able to calm him down by letting him bury his face in my arms while I talked to him gently.

The second time happened this morning. I had been awoken unusually early by the sound of thunder and had decided to check my phone to view the weather. Again, Leo started to "honk", and after two bursts of sound, I turned on the light. I got him out of his cage, held him, returned him to the cage and gave him a treat. He seems fine again.

I am unsure what keeps setting him off. He only makes the sound when I am in the room and when I my sleep schedule is a little odd. I would say that the thunder explains his outbursts, but the first time he made the sound, there was no unusual sounds coming from outside.

Why is Leo making this sound and what can I do to comfort him? He usually has a pretty sassy attitude and it makes me sad to see him panicked. Please let me know what I can do!

I have a female who makes distress calls all the time. I believe she is having chinny dreams. She is always fine when I check on her. I wouldn't worry too much if Leo is acting fine after you check him. As long as he is eating and pooping regularly. I'm convinced my girl has me trained to come running whenever she desires.;)

Sounds like the second time he may have been afraid of the storm, and the first time, he may have just wanted to run or make sure you were ok. Like mgonya, I also have a female who honks almost every night. She sounds like a little squeeze toy. I am also convinced she does this when she gets tired of waiting for me to wake up and give her scritches lol.

My buster was doing something similar when I changed my sleep pattern so he wasn't getting 2am playtime. I'd come out talk to him, give him some scratches through the cage when he came to me and he would calm down.
The description of the honking as a little squeeze toy is so perfect.

All of my boys do this, usually about once a day or so one of them will go off. It is usually while they're sleeping. I used to think they were hearing something I wasn't, but now I'm pretty sure it's dreams or something else. One of my boys is deaf, so he obviously isn't being startled by a noise, and they all usually stay asleep while they do it or go back to sleep shortly after.

My Lucy makes that sounds when she is sleeping sometimes. I'll hear the sound and come running all panicked and she just sits there in her hidey home and sleeps. I believe she might have nightmares sometimes.

Generally some chins will be more vocal than others. Given your chin is healthy (not losing weight or suffering an injury), in my experience, it's got very little to do with how happy they are or how entertained or even how frightened they are; the squeaking and barking can be characterized more like a personality trait.

Totally normal! My female chin does this all the time at night. Just trying to wake me up for either attention or playtime.

Carl makes this noise a few nights a week. I normally just call out to him and tell him he's ok and he stops. Sometimes he'll make the noise again though. If he does it more than twice, I'll get up, open his cage and give him lots of scritches and pet him and talk to him. It drives my boyfriend insane but after sleeping in the same room with a chinchilla for over 3 years I'm used to it 😂 I forget people who don't own them actually sleep without any kind of rattling noises or squeaks or obnoxious chewing sounds. It's kind of a comfort for me now. Those noises means he's active and up and about when he should be :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back