Chinchilla Hedgehog play date?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgemom13

Hey guys!

I'm sure given the joint nature of this forum this has been asked before, but is it safe and/or advisable to arrange a playdate for a hedgehog and a chinchilla? I'm a new hedgehog owner and my friend is a new chinchilla owner, and we would love to have them in the same room/interact, but didn't want to do so without getting some general advice.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

(I also posted this under a hedgehog thread, but wanted to make sure chinchilla owners saw it too)

I wouldn't advise it, it's best to keep other pets and chins separate in general. Also with a hedgehog they have sharp quill that could hurt the chin, as well as a chin and hedgehog need different temperatures. The room would either have to be too hot for the chin or too cold for the hedgehog. Also being a omnivore instead of a herbivore the hedgehog would probably carry a different assortment of bacteria that could make the chin sick. The chin could also hurt the hedgehog, chins bounce and hop around and hedgehogs pretty much scurry around, the chin could see it as something to bounce off of. Lastly and I could be wrong on this, but I think hedgehogs are solitary, so it might not like having a companion period, even if it was another hedgehog.

Latest posts

Back