Chinchilla has diarrhea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyv2k14

I think my chin has diarrhea. Her poop is a little moist and soft and it seems to come out in larger clumps. So far, she is still active, runs around and uses her wheel and everything. I've already removed her pellets and given her fresh hay and a small bit of a shredded wheat.

I have a vet appointment for Tuesday, thanks to the long weekend. I actually scheduled it as a checkup, but yeah.

Is it odd that she is small? Supposedly, she is 3 months old and can sit comfortably in the palm of one hand. I was told by a breeder that this can make her more susceptible to illnesses and such. Is there anything else I can do to at least stabilize her for two days. No idea where there else I can take her on a Labour Day Weekend. Thanks.

If her poop is coming out in clumps, then it's probably not "normal" diarrhea, i.e., slightly off balance gut causing some loose poops. You can try pulling all the pellets and give nothing but good quality hay, some acidophilus or some Bene-Bac. Activated charcoal will help as well if it's just a simple case of loose poops.

As far as size, it's possible that she could fit in the palm of your hand, but it would seem unlikely. I know I don't have a 3 month old here that would fit in mine.

Vet wise - you're in San Francisco. There are absolutely emergency vets, and I'm sure, exotic vets, that can see your chin before Tuesday. I would hit the phone book and start calling and find one.

I just want to add that if she is only 3 months old she shouldn't have a wheel. Keep the wheel out of her cage until she is at least 6 months old. The reason for this is that they over exert themselves on the wheel when they are this young and this causes them to use up calories they need to grow. Good luck with your baby hopefully it's just a random case of diarrhea and it clears up soon.

ok, so no wheel for the young ones? but its still good to take her out for exercise, right? I am worried that she will get bored because i dont have a cage mate for her and im not around for most of the day (work about 8am to 7pm a lot of the time).

Also, what is a good feed besides, Mazuri, and where can I get it. Her diarrhea seems better now that I stopped feeding her those pellets. Unfortunately, I have gone to every pet store near here and all the other foods they offer are stuffed with crappy treats. The pet stores dont even offer the Oxbrow critical care or anything like that. Does anyone know a website or something? I am trying to provide well for this baby, but I also don't have the time to drive 2 or 3 hrs every weekend.

I'm pretty sure there are many vendors on here that sell critical care; check out the classified section or click on a banner on the top of this website. Also no out of cage exercise/playtime for the same reasons as the wheel.

petsmart carries Oxbow pellets. I believe Sandi on here sells them too.

as mentioned, no wheel or out of cage play time for chins under 6 months. no treats either. just pellets, hay, filtered water, and lots of wood to chew!

OK, thanks. I got her birthday marked now so I remember when she comes of age for her wheel. So pretty much all I can do with her for 3 months is feed her and get her used to my presence, which is good. Hopefully she will end up healthy and tame.

What is the proper consistency for chinchilla poop? I am not sure if she had diarrhea or not. I know that poo similar to human diarrhea is very bad. But hers are kinda soft to the squeeze, but otherwise look large and healthy and she seems plenty active, especially when I want to sleep.

Latest posts

Back