Chinchilla fur?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayChillas

Puff n' Fluff
So I recently got 2 new chinchillas on wednesday. They're 5 & 6 yr. old girls. I have a question about the 6 yr. old we named Ella - I'm worried about the way her fur looks. Nothing drastic has happened, she doesn't have any bald spots or anything even close to that (thank goodness) but there's little tufts that are sticking out making parts of her fur uneven. (She's not chewing her fur at all by the way) Is she shedding? I've read that chins shed in the sping and fall and its obviously fall time. Also, I tried to give her a dust bath but she seemed too scared and wouldn't roll around at all. The 5 yr. old, Eva, absolutley loved it (Ella seems to be more shy and Eva is definently the bold, outgoing one lol) I think i'm going to keep trying with the dust bath because she needs it. Maybe she's stressed as well? Going from one place to another is stressful i'm sure. Please help!! I'm a new chin owner and I freak out about every little thing :wacko:

Thank you!

It's probably just some fur that's shedding out ;) Chins prime, and they can look quite sad when they do! Sometimes they'll look rough if they haven't been able to bathe regularly, I've helped with a few rescues who had obviously not taken a dust bath in ages, and they had fur clumps that hadn't come out along with being greasy. But from what you describe, it's nothing to worry about. Ella will come around to taking dust baths, and once she's done priming and gets a few good dustings, she'll look good as new :)

It's probably just some fur that's shedding out ;) Chins prime, and they can look quite sad when they do! Sometimes they'll look rough if they haven't been able to bathe regularly, I've helped with a few rescues who had obviously not taken a dust bath in ages, and they had fur clumps that hadn't come out along with being greasy. But from what you describe, it's nothing to worry about. Ella will come around to taking dust baths, and once she's done priming and gets a few good dustings, she'll look good as new :)

Oh thank goodness. Thank you for the help! :thumbsup:

Are you able to hold or pet her? Usually a gentle tug and those clumps come right out in your hand!

She is skittish so its kind of hard. If I go slow though I can gently pet her. I'll try that though. Thanks!

You may need to leave the room when you give her the dust. She might not feel comfortable enough to dust with you watching her.

That's exactly what she needed. I took out her cage mate for a couple of minutes and put the bowl of dust in the cage and let her be. When I came in she was in the bowl but she jumped out and in her house before I could see. But i'm pretty sure she just wanted to be alone.

Latest posts

Back