Chinchilla Food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ Muscella

So I'm just looking for peoples opinions here. I have two chinchillas; I've been feeding them both Oxbow pellets and timothy hay. My one devours his pellets and hay. My other only touches the hay, I never see any change in the amount of pellets in his crock. As a result I give him lots and lots of hay so I know he's eating. However, I'm thinking of switching just him over to VitaNature Natural Chinchilla Formula. Before I did, though, I wanted to hear what everyone else thinks. I know there are some things in there that they shouldn't eat - and I'd go through and pick out what shouldn't be consumed but is it even worth it? Or should I just stick with the oxbow? If I stick with the Oxbow, any tips on how to get him to eat more healthy? I've tried critical care when he was underweight - he refused to go near it. I just don't know what to try next.

:hmm:

remove the hay for several days and see if he starts eating his pellets. He will not starve himself and will eventually eat.

Personally I use Muzuri chinchilla food and my chins love it. Maybe try mixing in some rice cereal or dried goat milk like a fussy kit to stimulate its appetite. I'm sure the other people here could make more suggestions.

I agree. At least cut back the hay so he runs out for awhile between feedings. You are only enabling him to avoid pellets.

Rather then going with a junk food brand of food I'd try out the other healthy brands. There is also mazuri and tradition as good quality chinchilla food. Several people also use high quality rabbit food, I'm sure someone else could tell you those brands if you want to go that route.

Back