Chinchilla feet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandycandy135

So, I'm a mommy of 3 chinchillas, Chili, Milly, and Tilly. (my daughter named them)
I first got Chewy back in February, and she was so lonely that i sought out a chinchilla matchmaker.
We went to her chinchilla sanctuary and she also sold us some kiln dried pine chip bedding because we were using Carefresh recycled paper bedding and she mentioned that they eat it and it blows up in their intestines.
Anyway, we brought Tilly and Milly home with us along with several new platforms that she also sold us, made out of pine wood as well i'm assuming.
Lately Chili, Milly, and Tilly have had very rough feet and I'm concerned that something is wrong with them but maybe I'm over reacting. (also we hold them by the tail as instructed by the chinchilla sanctuary owner)
I'm particularly concerned with Tilly's feet, who is 6 years old and was used for breeding purposes in her previous home.

The pictures (sorry for the poop haha) go from left to right Tilly, Chili, and Milly

Attachments

• 20130711_220453.jpg
    20130711_220453.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20130711_220813.jpg
    20130711_220813.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20130711_221215.jpg
    20130711_221215.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 73
They look like they could use some Bag Balm. Keep a close eye out for any blood or oozing... if you see any then a vet visit is in order.

You don't like, dangle them by the tail, do you?!

oh dear god, you are dangling them by the tail (just looked at the pics more closely). Is that usual??? Please can someone more experienced answer this???
I'd honestly never hold mine like that....

Incidently, this post probably belongs in the health and hygiene section, so you might want to ask a mod to switch it over. You'd get more replies then...

It is typical for chinchilla feet to dry out. If they start to crack and bleed, it is okay to use bag balm to help moisten them. They do bleed on occasion when they crack from the dryness and if not red, swollen or inflamed (or otherwise look like an infection has set in) it is absolutely not necessary to take them to the vet for this. Bag balm is a safe moisturizer for chins.

Also, it is perfectly acceptable to hold a chin by the tail. You never grab a chin by the tail but holding them securely about 1 inch from the base is perfectly safe and is how many breeders hold their animals and how most people hold them while grooming as well.

wow freaky! It just looks so... strange to me! I knew you could hold them steady by gripping the base of the tail, but I honestly didn't know you could lift them up like that....
thanks for clarifying this... I was super worried!

Apologies to you SandyCandy135, if I have offended you, then I didn't mean to. I was just surprised!

Typically you lift a chin by scooping them up from underneath and then hold them steady by the tail. Once you have them secure it is fine to hold them by the tail and dangle for short periods of time. I don't want anyone to get the idea that it is okay to grab a chin by the tail when trying to pick it up or to go around all day dangling a chin upside down. It is fine as long as the chin is calm and steady and in order for you to perform a task. It does not hurt them but it doesn't mean they enjoy it. They don't mind it but I highly doubt they would ask for it if given a choice! :)

Just want to add, when you use bag balm, put it on the feet (not too thick) but hold the chinchilla for a few minutes and then wipe the bag balm off or they will have shoes made of poop after a few steps! lol
And I'm pretty sure you should only put it on the back feet..I don't think they'd enjoy it on the front feet, nor would they need it!

Also, I use bag balm for my chinchillas AND myself (I also have dry cracked feet) and it works wonders for all of us =)

Wow thank you everyone! Also I generally scoop them up and then secure them in my arm by holding the tail but for picture purposes it was the best option. Also I'm very new to using forums. How do you switch sections? Thank you all so much! I will try bag balm

Back