Chinchilla Excessively Drooling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarnetKrow

Hi all, my chinchilla Mimi is having problems with excessive drooling. She gets the entire front chest area wet, but I feel that it is worse on the left side. This behavior started around 3 months ago. It used to just be on/off, but for the last 2 weeks she has been very wet.
I've been taking her to two separate vets, both of whom has treated her previously for other minor health problems (arthritis, eye discharge, etc). They were both able to take a look inside her mouth. The following are what my vets said:

Vet 1: Cannot find anything wrong with her teeth. Tongue has regular movement. Maybe small scratch under her tongue (maybe from being poked with hay?), but it is already healing. Everything else about her is healthy. Doesn't think it's worth it to put her under anesthesia to get teeth checked.

Vet 2: No problem with tongue movement, teeth look fine. Swabbed cheeks for blood, found none. May have very small tooth spur in back of mouth, but is not major enough to recommend putting her under anesthesia for. Teeth maybe a little on the lighter side color-wise. Everything else looks fine.

Both vets (especially vet 2) told me that it's not worth the risk to get x-rays of her teeth, and that she is healthy otherwise.
I also want to mention that she's always had GI tract problems, mostly constipation/sticky (membrane-covered) poop. I feed her critical care (which she loves) twice a day to help her gut. Her poop is a little small and sticky right now, but she is going regularly.

I am planning to take her in again to get checked, but have no idea what to do. I think it's her teeth because she's been making chewing motions even when not eating, but both vets tell me otherwise, or that it's not worth putting her under to check. She is eating pellets/nuts without problems.
I hate how ratty she looks/probably feels, and I know she hates me combing out her fur and taking 20 min a day drying it. She is also getting her cagemate a little wet because Mimi leans on top of her.

Any other theories as to why this is happening, and what I can do? Vet 1 told me to look into getting corn flour to help with the drying process. Is the next step to try pain medication?

Thank you for reading such a long post. I've posted a picture of what Mimi's chest looks like. I am mostly worried about her getting a fungal infection in the short term. Her fur sticks together, so it makes a bald spot. She also smells like a wet dog.

Attachments

• PXL_20230204_192624893.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230204_192624893.MP.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Unfortunately there is obviously something wrong, either in the mouth or with the teeth, which does include the roots. Are either vet experienced with chinchillas? I realize most are not. Although not as common sometimes the roots do grow without any real noticeable crown growth, so x-rays are needed, but there also is nothing you can do if it is the roots other then pain meds until you are ready to let her go. Did they give a reason they don't want to do x-rays? If they feel she is healthy otherwise I don't understand why they don't think x-rays are worth it, is it because if it's the roots there isn't anything that can be done?
Also how did they look at the teeth? Did they just use a hand scope to look at the back teeth or did they use a camera scope? Since I assume she doesn't have any watery eyes or anything it could be the bottom roots, when you run your finger over the bottom of the jaw does it feel smooth or do you feel bumps? It should feel smooth, if you feel bumps what you are feeling is the roots pushing through the jaw. Teeth grinding can be a sign of pain, but sometimes they are just doing because they have a bit of food they are chewing on, critical care from what I've heard can be gritty.

I would just use towels and a drier on low or no heat, corn is not safe for chins if she eats it, so corn flour is not going to be safe either, and would be just as bad as dust bath for clumping in the fur. I do agree that until you get the drooling sorted you need to keep the chin as dry as possible or you do risk a fungal infection.

Also you say she eats pellets ok? and NUTS? Nuts are not safe for chins, they are way too high in fatty oils and will cause fatty liver disease since chins are not designed to eat a high fat diet. Does she eat hay ok as well? Hay is required for proper molar wear, they can bite and crush pellets well enough without grinding, but they can't eat hay without grinding it down with the molars, and chew toys only help with the front teeth. Is she also chewing on toys ok as well? That doesn't really mean much if she is, other then the front teeth aren't the problem, but if she isn't that can be a sign of mouth or jaw pain. How is her weight? Is she loosing weight or staying the same? That can also be a good way to make sure she is eating enough, I know it can be tricky to tell sometimes when they have a cage mate who could be eating the food too.

As for the GI issue, has she been checked for that? Also is her cage mate's poop normal or also not good too? What has the vets said about the sticky poops? Critical care would not cause the poops to be sticky, but things like giardia can. It also wont help with the gut, if she has already been tested for parasites you can try a probiotic to help try to get her gut in better working order. Critical care is more of a recovery food for when chins are not eating on their own for some reason.

I think you need to find a vet who is willing to put her under and really do a thorough exam of her teeth. As Amethyst said, it's obvious something is wrong, all signs point to her teeth being the culprit, and it's not possible to properly examine her teeth without putting her under, scoping her, and taking X-rays.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you can try pushing back with one of the vets you've been to, explaining how the roots and molars of chinchillas' teeth are always growing, you really think it's a tooth issue, and would like to have a thorough exam of her teeth done. If you don't feel comfortable doing that (or if you try and they still refuse), then I'd try to find another vet. When you call for an appointment, explain what's going on, that two vets have already failed you, and that you really need her teeth examined and x-rayed. That way, hopefully you'll at least be able to save some money by not bothering with any vet who is unwilling to do that on principle, and will hopefully find a vet who's willing to work with you. Sadly most vets just don't know much about chins.

If/when you find a vet willing and able to do what needs doing, you might also bring them a stool sample and ask them to test it for parasites, because it sounds like she's also got something going on with her gut.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, and I hope you're able to find a vet who can give you answers (and hopefully solutions)!

Unfortunately there is obviously something wrong, either in the mouth or with the teeth, which does include the roots. Are either vet experienced with chinchillas? I realize most are not. Although not as common sometimes the roots do grow without any real noticeable crown growth, so x-rays are needed, but there also is nothing you can do if it is the roots other then pain meds until you are ready to let her go. Did they give a reason they don't want to do x-rays? If they feel she is healthy otherwise I don't understand why they don't think x-rays are worth it, is it because if it's the roots there isn't anything that can be done?
Also how did they look at the teeth? Did they just use a hand scope to look at the back teeth or did they use a camera scope? Since I assume she doesn't have any watery eyes or anything it could be the bottom roots, when you run your finger over the bottom of the jaw does it feel smooth or do you feel bumps? It should feel smooth, if you feel bumps what you are feeling is the roots pushing through the jaw. Teeth grinding can be a sign of pain, but sometimes they are just doing because they have a bit of food they are chewing on, critical care from what I've heard can be gritty.

I would just use towels and a drier on low or no heat, corn is not safe for chins if she eats it, so corn flour is not going to be safe either, and would be just as bad as dust bath for clumping in the fur. I do agree that until you get the drooling sorted you need to keep the chin as dry as possible or you do risk a fungal infection.

Also you say she eats pellets ok? and NUTS? Nuts are not safe for chins, they are way too high in fatty oils and will cause fatty liver disease since chins are not designed to eat a high fat diet. Does she eat hay ok as well? Hay is required for proper molar wear, they can bite and crush pellets well enough without grinding, but they can't eat hay without grinding it down with the molars, and chew toys only help with the front teeth. Is she also chewing on toys ok as well? That doesn't really mean much if she is, other then the front teeth aren't the problem, but if she isn't that can be a sign of mouth or jaw pain. How is her weight? Is she loosing weight or staying the same? That can also be a good way to make sure she is eating enough, I know it can be tricky to tell sometimes when they have a cage mate who could be eating the food too.

As for the GI issue, has she been checked for that? Also is her cage mate's poop normal or also not good too? What has the vets said about the sticky poops? Critical care would not cause the poops to be sticky, but things like giardia can. It also wont help with the gut, if she has already been tested for parasites you can try a probiotic to help try to get her gut in better working order. Critical care is more of a recovery food for when chins are not eating on their own for some reason.
Thanks so much for your reply. As for the nuts, I only give it to her once every couple of weeks as a snack. It was recommended by her rescue organization as she's always been pretty small.
Vet 2 was recommended by the rescue organization I got Mimi from. Both vets (and me) have felt her lower jaw, and it seems smooth. The vets are against putting her under because of the high risk anesthesia carries to small animals. They used a hand scope to look at her back teeth. She seems to be ok eating hay. Her weight has for the most part stayed the same (about 450 g), I weigh her every 2 weeks or so. Vets are aware of her GI tract issue. I may take her in to get her tested for parasites, although I doubt she has any since she's had small poops for at least 2-3 years (confirmed with vets that their size is okay, nothing to really worry about) and her cagemate is as healthy as she can be (nice big poops, etc).
One of the vets recommended Meloxicam. Do you have any experience with it?

I think you need to find a vet who is willing to put her under and really do a thorough exam of her teeth. As Amethyst said, it's obvious something is wrong, all signs point to her teeth being the culprit, and it's not possible to properly examine her teeth without putting her under, scoping her, and taking X-rays.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you can try pushing back with one of the vets you've been to, explaining how the roots and molars of chinchillas' teeth are always growing, you really think it's a tooth issue, and would like to have a thorough exam of her teeth done. If you don't feel comfortable doing that (or if you try and they still refuse), then I'd try to find another vet. When you call for an appointment, explain what's going on, that two vets have already failed you, and that you really need her teeth examined and x-rayed. That way, hopefully you'll at least be able to save some money by not bothering with any vet who is unwilling to do that on principle, and will hopefully find a vet who's willing to work with you. Sadly most vets just don't know much about chins.

If/when you find a vet willing and able to do what needs doing, you might also bring them a stool sample and ask them to test it for parasites, because it sounds like she's also got something going on with her gut.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, and I hope you're able to find a vet who can give you answers (and hopefully solutions)!
Thank you so much!
Vet 2 did tell me that if I really want to go through with it, that they will recommend a place for me. Yes, it's been pretty difficult finding a knowledgeable vet, but vet 2 came recommended by the rescue organization I got Mimi from.
They both really put the fear of God in me about chinchillas not waking up from anesthesia, but it's looking like I don't have a choice.
One of the vets brought up Meloxicam. Do you have any experience with it by chance?

Thank you so much!
Vet 2 did tell me that if I really want to go through with it, that they will recommend a place for me. Yes, it's been pretty difficult finding a knowledgeable vet, but vet 2 came recommended by the rescue organization I got Mimi from.
They both really put the fear of God in me about chinchillas not waking up from anesthesia, but it's looking like I don't have a choice.
One of the vets brought up Meloxicam. Do you have any experience with it by chance?
The vet is technically correct that there are risks with general anaesthesia for small mammals (frankly, there are risks for all animals, including humans), but there are times when the potential benefits outweigh the risks, and there are times where there's just no way to make a diagnosis (and in turn find a solution) without taking that risk. From what you've described, this seems like one of those times. They've ruled out everything they can with less invasive procedures and nothing has improved. You need to figure out what's going on with her in order to help her, and I don't think there's any way to do that without putting her under for a proper dental exam. If it were me, I'd take Vet #2 up on their offer to refer you to someone willing and able to do that.

I don't have any personal experience with Meloxicam, though I know it's in the NSAID class of drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), which includes things like ibuprofen (Advil) and naproxen (Aleve) that many humans use to treat mild to moderate pain. Basically it would reduce any pain and swelling she's experiencing, but it wouldn't do anything to address the underlying problem. It's more of a stop-gap than a long-term solution, but it may help her feel a little better in the short term while you figure out what's going on. The main word of caution I would give is that most NSAIDs are known to be kinda hard on the stomach (especially the stomach lining), so I would be sure the prescribing vet knows about her history of gut issues. They may still say it's fine, but just make sure they have that information.

There is always a risk when putting small animals under, I do agree, but there really is no other way to check the roots of the teeth, and without at least sedating them most vets can get a good clear look at the crowns of the teeth either (it does depend on the chin though). It's great that it wasn't the first go to thing to look and try, but I think at this point if they can't see anything in the mouth and the crowns of teeth look fine it's time to look below the gums.

The Meloxicam sounds like a good idea for pain, however I would get the gut issues figured out first unless the vet doesn't think that will be a problem. I have limited experience with it for chins, but from what I've seen from others chins tend to do well on it and can stay on it for long term unlike some animals, if needed.

Thanks so much for your reply. As for the nuts, I only give it to her once every couple of weeks as a snack. It was recommended by her rescue organization as she's always been pretty small.
Vet 2 was recommended by the rescue organization I got Mimi from. Both vets (and me) have felt her lower jaw, and it seems smooth. The vets are against putting her under because of the high risk anesthesia carries to small animals. They used a hand scope to look at her back teeth. She seems to be ok eating hay. Her weight has for the most part stayed the same (about 450 g), I weigh her every 2 weeks or so. Vets are aware of her GI tract issue. I may take her in to get her tested for parasites, although I doubt she has any since she's had small poops for at least 2-3 years (confirmed with vets that their size is okay, nothing to really worry about) and her cagemate is as healthy as she can be (nice big poops, etc).

There is always a risk when putting small animals under, I do agree, but there really is no other way to check the roots of the teeth, and without at least sedating them most vets can get a good clear look at the crowns of the teeth either (it does depend on the chin though). It's great that it wasn't the first go to thing to look and try, but I think at this point if they can't see anything in the mouth and the crowns of teeth look fine it's time to look below the gums.

The Meloxicam sounds like a good idea for pain, however I would get the gut issues figured out first unless the vet doesn't think that will be a problem. I have limited experience with it for chins, but from what I've seen from others chins tend to do well on it and can stay on it for long term unlike some animals, if needed.
Thank you. I'm taking her in again tomorrow to talk to the vet and get a referral to a animal dentistry place that apparently specializes in small mammals. I also forgot to mention, she had been chewing on toys. Glad to hear that Meloxicam isn't something that's too scary.

The vet is technically correct that there are risks with general anaesthesia for small mammals (frankly, there are risks for all animals, including humans), but there are times when the potential benefits outweigh the risks, and there are times where there's just no way to make a diagnosis (and in turn find a solution) without taking that risk. From what you've described, this seems like one of those times. They've ruled out everything they can with less invasive procedures and nothing has improved. You need to figure out what's going on with her in order to help her, and I don't think there's any way to do that without putting her under for a proper dental exam. If it were me, I'd take Vet #2 up on their offer to refer you to someone willing and able to do that.

I don't have any personal experience with Meloxicam, though I know it's in the NSAID class of drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), which includes things like ibuprofen (Advil) and naproxen (Aleve) that many humans use to treat mild to moderate pain. Basically it would reduce any pain and swelling she's experiencing, but it wouldn't do anything to address the underlying problem. It's more of a stop-gap than a long-term solution, but it may help her feel a little better in the short term while you figure out what's going on. The main word of caution I would give is that most NSAIDs are known to be kinda hard on the stomach (especially the stomach lining), so I would be sure the prescribing vet knows about her history of gut issues. They may still say it's fine, but just make sure they have that information.
Thank you for your feedback.
Yes, I concur that drastic measures need to be taken. I'm taking her in to vet #2 to get the referral for a small-animal focused dentist.
And thank you for the info on the Meloxicam, I will definitely follow up with the dentist on it.
Hopefully I can get her comfortable and help her get back on track to a nice, happy life!

Lumps on the jaw will not show up if the teeth on top are growing into her eye sockets. I didn't read everything you posted (sorry, at school!) but is it wet around her eyes at all? If it is, there is nothing that can clarify what is going on other than x-rays. Also, I have many chins that have lumps on their bottom jaws, and they do not have mallo. The only way to know absolutely for sure is with x-rays. Anesthesia is not super risky for the short period of time that your chin will need to be under for x-rays. What's more important is having an experienced chin vet who knows how to administer the anesthesia and how to read the x-rays.

Meloxicam is for pain. Why is he recommending Meloxicam for a stomach issue?

Back