Chinchilla emergency

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie

Unfortunately this is my first post. The past 3 days my chinchilla has not been eating or drinking so I took him to the vet yesterday. we found out he was constipated and had a fever of 103 he injected him with some fluids and sent us home with a laxative and a prescription for apples lettuce and carrots. The vet said to try and feed him this stuff in the morning I've been trying to hand feed him but he still won't eat or drink an he keeps stumbling all over, thrashing, an shaking almost like a seizure. The vets office is closed for the weekend and I don't know what to do I have work soon and I'm scared to leave him alone

Jessie - Your chin is in dire straights right now. He has reached the point where if he isn't constantly monitored and cared for, you are going to lose him. He needs to be HAND FED not given a bunch of crappy vegetables and fruits. They are not going to help him in the least. He needs Critical Care for herbivores or Essentials for Life from Tayna at fuzzieskingdom.com. Right now your best bet is the Critical Care because you can probably get it somewhere nearby. You also need to be massaging his tummy and giving him different types of meds to help him through this. The fluids will help but they aren't going to fix him. What "laxative" did he give him?

Can you find another vet to take him to? Someone who actually knows about chinchillas?

Use the forum search function to search for "burrito". It will give you tips as how to safely restrain your chin for force feeding. He needs force feeding immediately. Good luck xxxx

Jessie I am not a chin expert or anything but do you have him in a cool place?? Is it possibly that he is having heat stroke? Chins are sensitive to heat!

Back