Chinchilla dying- brought to Vet- still looking for tips

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesi909

Hi every one,

We noticed my girls laying on her side Saturday morning and thought as had heat exhaustion. Unfortunately she was in the downstairs with the pellet stove ;( for quite some time not realizing the temp was getting too high. Anyways we have had her for 10 years, ne'er any health issues Etc. We moved her upstairs, bought her a new cage and syringe fed her water, hand fed her. She seemed to be improving, until today she doesn't look like she's not gonna make it. we brought her to the vet and she is frail and bony and dehydrated. They said she has a repair story infection and a heart murmur. They gave her IV fluids, and sent us home with antibiotics and critical care formula. Granted its only be 5 hours since we got home, my Dad doesn't think she's gonna make it thru the night. She hasn't really been using, but we've been giving her water through a syringe or in a spoon and she's been drinking it. However, she has not been pooping for at least two days now. We put her in her hammock and she has not moved, her eyes are closed. She has made crying noises and I've heard her teeth chattering. I gave her the antibiotics as soon as I got home. What else can we do? Has anyone experienced anything like this? It's not looking good, but we want to try anything possible. This just sucks as is hard to watch. She is 10 years old, but I don't think it's her time. We feel terrible. The vet says its not related to the heat, but I beg to differ. I've never dealt with the loss of a pet. Any tips or advice as to nursing her back I health or anything would be greatly appreciated. The vet thinks her body is shutting down tho, but miracles do happen, so let's pray she pulls thru.

Pleas excuse any typos as this was done on my phone.

Please help.

Thank you,
Jessica

Yes, she was, and seemed extremely knowledgeable. However, my poor baby girl died about an hour ago....I am so sad and hurt, she was part of the family the last 10 years. Truly didn't expect her to pass this quickly, but most importantly she is no longer suffering. ;( crying my eyes out

No poop means the gi system is involved, and if she's not pooping but your feeding her you need X-rays to see if there is a blockage. If there is then its a tightrope of plain meds and feedings. At the very least if she's not pooping she's bound to be full of gas. The first thing I would be doing is giving her simethicone and massaging her stomach and trying to get her to move (helps get the gut going) is she on any pain meds? She's clearly in pain she needs to be on a pain med like medicam. However if it's a blockage you might need something stronger. Get her to a chin experienced vet and get X-rays done and get pain meds. She may very well need motility meds as well.
Although I'm not the most experienced on here what your describing sounds more like gi stasis or blockage than heat stroke I'm afraid but of course I can't tell you that for sure . Did the vet get any sub qs in her at least??

I am sorry for your loss. Sometimes you can tell it is too late for them. Then the best thing to do is end their suffering.

I am soooo sorry you lost your girl. I wish you had had more time to help her, but at least her suffering has come to an end. May she rest in peace.

My heart goes out to you. Hang in there and know that she's all better now and in a better place. A lot of things are out of our control, you did all you could. :hug2:

Back