Chinchilla Dead ear

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo

So I pulled my Chin's ear really hard and now it won't work. It was necessary to get her out from under the fridge. She seems to be exhibiting Otis Media inside of her ear as well. She is still eating and moving around the cage. She occasionally sneezes or wheezes through her nose but has been doing that since before her ear injury. It will not move at all and I am concerned that the muscles will never heal. I do not feel that her hearing is damaged, although her inner ear being filled with the pus is a defense for the ear drum. Any advice or reassurance would be nice (advice other than fo to the vet, she is not present).

Attachments

• 14308466225461827300281.jpg
    14308466225461827300281.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 52
When I press on the back of her ear a squishing sound is made. I took a sample and there is pus within her ear. Other parts of the ndt said this is to protect the eardrum. She is only 13 weeks old and weighs about 80 grams. She is far sweeter than my male. I really don't know if the muscles in their ears repair themselves, although muscles generally do when ripped. I do not know if there are ligaments in the ear with the muscles either. The internet said that the most pertinent thing to worry about is ear infection...so should I clean her ear regularly with rubbing alcohol? I tried to be gentle but when pulling her out she started jerking and shoving. Under the fridge is hot and there are live wires and what have you. Not a place for chins.

She's in pain. She does need the vet in my opinion- at least for some kind of painkiller. Pulling her ear was a dumb move. I know that's rather blunt and rude but you didnt chin proof enough and could have used a broom handle or some other technique to get her out. There is never a need for you to harm you animal like this. You dont know what damage has occurred hearing wise without a vet visit and it could easily get infected, especially is there's pus (the color of which can indicate infection). Ears are important to chins. Hearing is obviously important, but ears are also part of their heat regulation system.
If she was sneezing/wheezing before the injury she may be sick as well. I have no reassurance for you other than that she doesnt seem to be immediately dieing. My advice is to take her to a chin knowledgeable vet for care and consider your future as a pet owner. Pulling her ear like that is animal abuse.

I blocked off the fridge. I do not think the moderator posted my other postings, but there are wires under the fridge and a broomstick is a bad idea. Is there anybody who can offer medical advice?

Perhaps freedom of speech isn't welcome here. I will go elsewhere.

Jimbo, you are new here and your first few posts need to be approved by a moderator before being released due to a high level of spam we receive. Unfortunately we are not always here to approve posts right away.

That being said, it sounds like your chinchilla needs a vet.

A chin with an ear infection will die without veterinary care. That's all there is to say. There is no advice anyone can give you other than to seek veterinary care. You cannot see "otitis media" without an otoscope. You might be able to see otitis externa, if you knew what you were looking for. The ear squishing combined with the sneezing would make me run, not walk, to a vet. If your vet is not present (whatever that means?) then find another one.

She needs to see a vet ASAP! there is nothing you can do at home for her. The puss is a sign of a very very bad infection. You should never handle a chinchilla by its ear. You may have caused serious damage by handling her that way. If she is truely 13 weeks old and only 80 grams you have a major problem. She should be much larger by that age.

Jimbo, I'll try to say this a little nicer:
If you love your chinchilla (and I'm assuming you do), you would do ANYTHING to make her feel better, right? Right now, she really needs a vet. If you don't have the money, you may want to borrow it. While your at the vet, ask them if they can help you find her another home. I know you don't want to give her up, but right now it sounds like it's the best thing for her. Remember, you love her right??? Please think about how much she is suffering until decide to do the right thing. I wish you the best.

Back