Chinchilla circadian rhythms?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calcaneus

My two chins, Tea and Biscuit, started living with me a month or so ago after living with my parents since they were born. I think they must be used to being fed nightly at 11pm-midnight, since that's when my mother always fed them and they usually seem verrrry sleepy until at least 9:30 or 10. They are getting on a bit, around 12 years old each - some nights they don't seem to want to get out of their cage, some nights they are waiting by the door, and some nights they feign disdain until I linger long enough with the door open as I'm cleaning their cages and refilling everything. (They are a brother/sister pair so they are caged separately and play separately, but when I allow one of them to be outside the cage the other one starts waking up and being excited).

I was just wondering, is this something that's likely to stay the same or will things change over time? I have started waking them at other times (I now feed them supplement in the mornings, and occasionally on the weekends they will have playtime much earlier). Some days they are responsive at new times, other times they seem extremely resistant to waking up! I was just wondering at their age whether they are fairly set in their ways.

If you are really consistent about feeding/playing times, they may adjust to a new schedule. All chins are different though.

Back