Chinchilla chucking things around her cage in anger and frustration?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy

<--My little soldier!
My chinchilla go very frustrated after I gave her her new Oxbow Alfalfa Hay... She started nibbling at it and I don't think she could actually eat it and then she started chucking it away from her and then got out of her bed and started chucking everything around her cage....?
Is this pure frustration because she was unable t o eat her hay or what? :S She does this everytime I give her something new. Yesterday she got a new pumice stone she nibbled on it a little then went mad in her cage. The day before she got a new hay cookie and cardboard- after a little sniffing and nibbling she started chucking it all around her cage away from her bed. Then started yanking at her bed. She also bit me when I tried to move everything back.
Why is she doing this? I'm guessing it's because she really can't eat by herself anymore? and why can't she eat hay anymore? :(

Why do you say she can't eat by herself anymore? Is she not eating anything at all? Have you been weighing her to check for weight loss?

If she's not eating at all, it could be due to any number of reasons. She needs a full check up (including dental x rays) with a good vet ASAP, and I'd start Critical Care feedings as well.

Best wishes from me and Rosey xxxxx

Hi, my chin hasn't eaten hay in over a year and atm she is on Science supreme Recovery food. Due to her dental operation of just over a week ago. Where she has a slight misalignment due to Malo.. but it isn't bad Malocclusion just yet. She is still unable to eat her own pellets. However (I know I shouldn't have!) but she seemed to want it and I couldn't not. I gave her 1 cheerio yesterday morning which she just couldn't get enough of.

So is there any other reason why she just wont eat her hay? Or is it just down to her teeth now? As she hasn't bothered with hay in over a year, but she was never really a hay addict, she'd chuck it out of her bed and eat it if she was bored of her pellets.

was she given pain meds, like metacam, for after her surgery?

It might be still a bit too painful for her to eat yet....

I echo the painful part but as I recall from you previous posts, your vet did not take a set of full head x-rays to determine the extent of any possible root elongation (the old ones were a year old?). Root elongation may be the problem that is preventing her from enjoying chewing things, in which case proper pain management needs to be considered.

She is chewing on wood ect.. just not food... She has the vets again on thursday so I will ask for another set of xrays in the near future. It's only been 2 weeks since her last anesthetic. I can't say it would be fair on her to do it so soon, and I doubt she'd make it through. She seems okay atm.. very energetic. She has even started eating a few pellets by herself. It;s just the hay she seems t o steer clear of.

Back