chinchilla care sheet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
i would like to know if anyone knows a good chinchilla care sheet that i could print out to give to who ever i decide fit to take home my baby chins...i will NOT let them go without a care sheet and was wondering if there was a really good one already made so that i dont accidently leave things out if i were to make one myself..thank you

Rather than just copy someone elses who spent alot of time making one up, do one yourself and post it for others to look at. You being a new chin owner will learn more making one up than just copying one.

I agree with Dawn. You can make up a care sheet based off of what you know and websites and post it here for people to proof read and correct. There is no shame in that and it will also help you with knowing how to better educate your potential new homes.

ok thanks !! il start working on that today..when i get done ill copy and paste it for you all to correct and add if youd like ;) thank you

Chinchilla Care Sheet

Proper things for chinchillas

• Chinchillas need a decently sized cage that will allow them to hop around and have fun in.
One recommended cage that is very popular is the Ferret Nation 142. You can purchase this cage at your local Pets mart store or online at Ferret.com, Ebay.com , Amazon.com , or Dr.fosterandsmith.com. Sometimes you can catch them on sale at one of the sites listed or you can try to price match at your local Pets mart. All you have to do is print out the add and bring it to the store and ask if they would price match it.
• Chinchillas need lots of toys and things to occupy themselves while they are in there cage. It is highly recommended to buy them lots of wooden ledges to jump on, chew sticks, and other things for them to chew on also. Chinchillas love to chew to keep there teeth filed down and wood is a very good thing for them to chew on. There are many people who make and sell chinchilla toys online. You can also buy some of these things from pet stores but prices are much better online.
• It is important to have an exotic vet that handles chinchillas incase of an emergency. You may never need to go to the vet but its best to have one available if any thing were to happen to your chinchilla.
• Chinchillas should not eat just any food. Some great foods for chinchillas are Mazura, (sp?)Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit Food, Oxbow Pellets and (some others please chime in). Chinchillas should not be fed food with seeds, treats, and fruits in it. It is NOT healthy for them and they pick out all of the treats and leave the pellets. They also should not be fed cheap guinie pig or rabbit food from your local grocery store. You can purchase these bags in large quantities online, but shipping may be expensive, or you can purchase some of these from your local feed stores in 50lb bags which will last you for a long time. Oxbow can be purchased from Pets mart or online.
• Chinchillas should have filtered or distilled water. There water bottles should be cleaned atleast 1-2 times a week to keep it from getting nasty inside.(im not sure what can happen if you give them regular water so please explain and I will fix it.)
• Chinchillas also need fresh timothy hay or alfalfa hay. You can purchase this at your local Wal mart or Pets Mart. They should be given fresh hay daily along with there food. Alfalfa should not be given as there primary hay. It is high in calcium so should not be given daily.
• Chinchillas should be kept indoors at all times due to there sensitivity to heat! They should not be kept in temperatures over 75 degrees! IT can cause death to your chinchilla.
• It is recommended that you take your chinchilla out for daily play time in a supervised area. This means that you should play with them in areas where there are no open chords that they could chew on or small cracks and crevices that they could become lost or stuck in. Bathrooms are highly recommended for play time or you could purchase a play pen for them to be in during play time. It’s best that you find a tall play pen due to there ability to jump out. They also make play pen covers that can prevent this from happening.
• It is also recommended that you buy a wheel for your chinchillas cage. They enjoy to run on there for exercise . 2 recommended wheels are Chin Spins and Flying saucers. These wheels are made for chinchillas and they can not destroy them from chewing on them.(recommended places to buy these??)
• Chinchillas should have a dust bath anywhere from 1-3 times a week. This keeps there fur nice and clean. You can purchase good quality dust online. One good dust is called Blue Cloud. Some dust are not good for chinchillas and are poor quality and can cause issues like eye infections and other health issues. You also need to buy a container to put there dust in. There dust should NOT be left in there cage permanently. It should be placed in there cage for 10-20 minutes or you could place it in there play pen with them during play time.
• Chinchillas have different types of bedding that are safe for them. You can use Pine or Aspen shavings. Do NOT use Cedar shavings. Or you can purchase fleece liners online. These should be changed 1-2 times a week and washed.

Things you should NOT do to your chinchilla

• Do NOT put your chinchilla in a rolling ball! These are NOT safe for them and can cause them to get to hot!
• Please give your chinchillas treats sparingly. Raisins can be given on different occasions but should not be given daily! Cheerios are a good daily treat for them.
• Please make sure you do NOT have plastic items in your chinchilla’s cage! They will chew on these things and if digested can block up there intestines which can lead to an emergency vet visit or death.
• Please do NOT bring your chinchilla outside to play. There are many things in the grass that are not good for them if they digest them , they can also escape and be lost outside. They have no way to defend themselves if this were to happen.

Here is a link which may help you if you ever have any questions or you are looking for supplies for your chinchilla.

Chinsnhedgies.com is a great forum to learn about your chinchilla. If you ever need help many of the people on that site are experienced breeders and can help you if its not an emergency. They also have many people who sell chinchilla toys and supplies on that website. This includes ledges, treats, dust, food, hay, toys etc… I highly recommend this site to new chinchilla owners.

If you have any questions about anything please feel free to contact me , I will assist you as much as I can at the moment and if you need further assistance I will be happy to try and help you in any way that I can. Thank you for being a loving home for my baby !

anything i wasnt sure about i stated IN the care sheet so that you all could give me opinions and stuff to add to it. sorry it looks so bad, it looks alot better but i dont know how to upload the actual thing so i had to copy and paste it.

It's Mazuri, with an i. Other good foods are Tradition and Nutrena Naturewise (or something like that? someone correct me).

Chin spins can be bought at qualitycage.com. Don't remember where to get Flying Saucers...

I heard about the PANR but wasn't there one for show rabits or something I don't know if it's the same thing. Also I heard about manna pro sho (show?) or something
Buying any type of cage or wheel you can also mention buying it online on craigslist

I don't know whether you wanted grammatical/spelling corrections but I'm sometimes anal about it, and it might make a better impression, who knows. You might have been planning to go over it once more anyways. I'm not trying to be mean at all, just trying to help. My corrections are in bold.

Chinchilla Care Sheet

• Chinchillas need a decently sized cage that will allow them to hop around and have fun in. One recommended cage that is very popular is the Ferret Nation 142. You can purchase this cage at your local Pets mart store or online at Ferret.com, Ebay.com , Amazon.com , or Dr.fosterandsmith.com. Sometimes you can catch them on sale at one of the sites listed or you can try to price match at your local Pets mart. All you have to do is print out the ad, bring it to the store and ask if they would price match it.
• Chinchillas need lots of toys and things to occupy themselves while they are in there cage. It is highly recommended to buy them lots of wooden ledges to jump on, chew sticks, and other things for them to chew on also. Chinchillas love to chew to keep there teeth filed down and wood is a very good thing for them to chew on. There are many people who make and sell chinchilla toys online. You can also buy some of these things from pet stores but prices are much better online. Might want to add that some wood is harmful to them and suggest the reader find a list of safe and unsafe woods. I believe www.chincare.com has a decent list somewhere on their site
• It is important to have an exotic vet that handles chinchillas in case of an emergency. You may never need to go to the vet but it's best to have one available if any thing were to happen to your chinchilla.
• Chinchillas should not eat just any food. Some great foods for chinchillas are Mazuri, (sp?)Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit FoodI think they stopped making that. I believe the replacement is Purina Show Natural AdvantEdge Rabbit., Oxbow Pellets and (some others please chime in). Chinchillas should not be fed food with seeds, treats, and fruits in it. It is NOT healthy for them and they pick out all of the treats and leave the pellets. They also should not be fed cheap guinea pig or rabbit food from your local grocery store. You can purchase these bags in large quantities online, but shipping may be expensive, or you can purchase some of these from your local feed stores in 50lb bags which will last you for a long time. Oxbow can be purchased from Pets mart or online.
• Chinchillas should have filtered or distilled water. There water bottles should be cleaned atleast 1-2 times a week to keep it from getting nasty inside.(im not sure what can happen if you give them regular water so please explain and I will fix it.)There are minerals and bacteria which are either helpful or harmless to us. Chinchillas react negatively to some of these things in our tap water.
• Chinchillas also need fresh timothy hay or alfalfa hay. You can purchase this at your local Wal mart or Pets Mart. They should be given fresh hay daily along with there food. Alfalfa should not be given as there primary hay. It is high in calcium so should not be given daily.
• Chinchillas should be kept indoors at all times due to their sensitivity to heat! They should not be kept in temperatures over 75 degrees! It can cause death to your chinchilla.
• It is recommended that you take your chinchilla out for daily play time in a supervised area. This means that you should play with them in areas where there are no open cords that they could chew on or small cracks and crevices that they could become lost or stuck in. Bathrooms are highly recommended for play time or you could purchase a play pen for them to be in during play time. Not sure if bathrooms are highly recommended but people like them because they are small. Maybe just say small areas are suggested to control the chinchilla better so it does not harm itself. It’s best that you find a tall play pen due to there ability to jump out. They also make play pen covers that can prevent this from happening.
• It is also recommended that you buy a wheel for your chinchilla's cage. They enjoy to run on there for exercise . 2 recommended wheels are Chin Spins and Flying saucers. These wheels are made for chinchillas and they can not destroy them from chewing on them.(recommended places to buy these??)
• Chinchillas should have a dust bath anywhere from 1-3 times a week. This keeps their fur nice and clean. You can purchase good quality dust online. One good dust is called Blue Cloud. Some dusts are not good for chinchillas and are poor quality and can cause issues like eye infections and other health issues. You also need to buy a container to put their dust in. There dust should NOT be left in there cage permanently. It should be placed in there cage for 10-20 minutes or you could place it in their play pen with them during play time.
• Chinchillas have different types of bedding that are safe for them. You can use Pine or Aspen shavings. Do NOT use Cedar shavings. Or you can purchase fleece liners online. These should be changed 1-2 times a week and washed.

• Do NOT put your chinchilla in a rolling ball! These are NOT safe for them and can cause them to get too hot!
• Please give your chinchilla treats sparingly. Raisins can be given on different occasions but should not be given daily! A single Cheerio is a good daily treat for them.You can also mention rosehips, certain prepared sticks like apple, pecan etc wood, plain sugar-free shredded wheat and others
• Please make sure you do NOT have plastic items in your chinchilla’s cage! They will chew on these things and if ingested can block up their intestines which can lead to an emergency vet visit or death.
• Please do NOT bring your chinchilla outside to play. There are many things in the grass that are not good for them if they digest them; they can also escape and be lost outside. They have no way to defend themselves if this were to happen.

Here is a link which may help you if you ever have any questions or you are looking for supplies for your chinchilla.

Chinsnhedgies.com is a great forum to learn about your chinchilla. If you ever need help many of the people on that site are experienced breeders and can help you if it's not an emergency. They also have many people who sell chinchilla toys and supplies on that website. This includes ledges, treats, dust, food, hay, toys etc…I highly recommend this site to new chinchilla owners.

If you have any questions about anything please feel free to contact me, I will assist you as much as I can at the moment and if you need further assistance I will be happy to try and help you in any way that I can. Thank you for being a loving home for my baby !

I know, I know I have a problem of not being able to stop myself from correcting things. I mean no offense and I think your care sheet is fantastic!!

Last edited:
I believe PetSmart is a single word. I think Caiti corrected everything grammatically that I was looking at, just gives a good impression to your customers. I don't know if she got every one but you put the word "there" alot when it should be their. (when referring to a possession like "their dust," there is when you are talking about a place.) I don't know how many people pick up on that, but I like to see correct grammar and word usage when I read things like these. Just something to keep in mind. ;)

As for the filtered water, you can mention that if they don't have filtered water it can lead to bacteria like Giardia in their system which leads to diarrhea and lots of care to get rid of (scrubbing down entire cage, etc.) Also, if their water isn't changed often enough algae can build up in their bottle. You might also want to mention the types of woods that are safe for chins to chew and in the part where you talk about wood shelves, mention that the wood should be kiln-dried pine and other types that are okay.

Otherwise, looks good to me!

ok thank you very much and please anyone else give your opinions!!! i planned on scanning over it again but i wont lie, english is my WORST subject and im horrible with theirs and other words like that lol :) thank you very much no offense taken i promise!

I would not use chincare.com as a reference for anything, that site has toom many wacky ideas about chin care to be called "good", compile a list of the woods yourself and list them.

I also would not list walmart as a place to buy hay-chin hay should be fresh and the stuff at walmart looks like last decades lawn clippings.

A list of online sites to purchase chin items would be nice since people are lazy and won't look it up themselves on the forum. The forum address is chins-n-hedgies.com. not chinsnhedgies.com

75 deg with a high humidity is too hot IMO, when you say 75 to people especially newbie owners they will think "OH 77 is only a couple of degrees hotter".

Chins don't need lots of toys or huge cages to be healthy or happy, its owners who need to large cages and toys up the wazoo. You just need to make sure they have things to chew on to wear down the teeth. I know, I am a owner who feels the need for big cages and toys up the wazoo but I know for their health and happiness they don't "need" them.

Last edited:
ok lets see if this is a little better lol

Chinchilla Care Sheet

• Chinchillas need a decently sized cage that will allow them to hop around and have fun in.
One recommended cage that is very popular is the Ferret Nation 142. You can purchase this cage at your local Pets mart store or online at Ferret.com, Ebay.com , Amazon.com , or Dr.fosterandsmith.com. Sometimes you can catch them on sale at one of the sites listed or you can try to price match at your local Pets mart. All you have to do is print out the ad and bring it to the store and ask if they would price match it.
• Chinchillas need lots of toys and things to occupy themselves while they are in there cage. It is highly recommended to buy them lots of wooden ledges to jump on, chew sticks, and other things for them to chew on also. Chinchillas love to chew to keep there teeth filed down and wood is a very good thing for them to chew on. There are many people who make and sell chinchilla toys online. You can also buy some of these things from pet stores but prices are much better online. Some wood are harmful to chinchillas. Here is a website with toxic and non toxic woods for chinchillas.
• It is important to have an exotic vet that handles chinchillas in case of an emergency. You may never need to go to the vet but it’s best to have one available if any thing were to happen to your chinchilla.
• Chinchillas should not eat just any food. Some great foods for chinchillas are Mazuri , Purina Show Natural AdvantEdge Rabbit food, Oxbow Pellets and (some others please chime in). Chinchillas should not be fed food with seeds, treats, and fruits in it. It is NOT healthy for them and they pick out all of the treats and leave the pellets. They also should not be fed cheap guinea pig or rabbit food from your local grocery store. You can purchase these bags in large quantities online, but shipping may be expensive, or you can purchase some of these from your local feed stores in 50lb bags which will last you for a long time. Oxbow can be purchased from Pets mart or online.
• Chinchillas should have filtered or distilled water. There water bottles should be cleaned atleast 1-2 times a week to keep it from getting nasty inside. There are minerals and bacteria which can help or harm your chinchilla. So its best not to chance putting your chinchilla in danger by giving them out water.
• Chinchillas should be kept indoors at all times due to their sensitivity to heat! They should not be kept in temperatures over 75 degrees! IT can cause death to your chinchilla.
• It is recommended that you take your chinchilla out for daily play time in a supervised area. This means that you should play with them in areas where there are no open cords that they could chew on or small cracks and crevices that they could become lost or stuck in. Small areas are highly recommended for play time or you could purchase a play pen for them to be in during play time. It’s best that you find a tall play pen due to there ability to jump out. They also make play pen covers that can prevent this from happening.
• It is also recommended that you buy a wheel for your chinchillas cage. They enjoy to run on there for exercise . 2 recommended wheels are Chin Spins and Flying saucers. These wheels are made for chinchillas and they can not destroy them from chewing on them.You can purchase these from qualitycage.com (recommended places to buy these??)
• Chinchillas should have a dust bath anywhere from 1-3 times a week. This keeps their fur nice and clean. You can purchase good quality dust online. One good dust is called Blue Cloud. Some dust are not good for chinchillas and are poor quality and can cause issues like eye infections and other health issues. You also need to buy a container to put their dust in. Their dust should NOT be left in there cage permanently. It should be placed in there cage for 10-20 minutes or you could place it in there play pen with them during play time.

• Do NOT put your chinchilla in a rolling ball! These are NOT safe for them and can cause them to get too hot!
• Please give your chinchillas treats sparingly. Raisins can be given on different occasions but should not be given daily! A single Cheerio is a good daily treat for them. Many other treats are good for chinchillas also. They have rosehips, crushed or whole, prepared wood sticks like apple , pecan, etc. or you could purchase sugar-free shredded wheat also. All of these things can be found online.
• Please make sure you do NOT have plastic items in your chinchilla’s cage! They will chew on these things and if ingested can block up their intestines which can lead to an emergency vet visit or death.
• Please do NOT bring your chinchilla outside to play. There are many things in the grass that are not good for them if they digest them , they can also escape and be lost outside. They have no way to defend themselves if this were to happen.

Chins-n-hedgies.com is a great forum to learn about your chinchilla. If you ever need help many of the people on that site are experienced breeders and can help you if its not an emergency. They also have many people who sell chinchilla toys and supplies on that website. This includes ledges, treats, dust, food, hay, toys etc… I highly recommend this site to new chinchilla owners.

If you have any questions about anything please feel free to contact me , I will assist you as much as I can at the moment and if you need further assistance I will be happy to try and help you in any way that I can. Thank you for being a loving home for my baby !

i put this in bold as to show that its not with the rest..i personally see nothing wrong with walmarts hay. my boyfriend buys his from there and we have never had any problems. i took chincare off but i dont know where a list of toxic and non toxic is to make my own. also what should i put about the temperature situation??

Last edited:
I would not use chincare.com as a reference for anything, that site has toom many wacky ideas about chin care to be called "good", compile a list of the woods yourself and list them.

I haven't read through the entire site but what I've read about the basic chin care they suggest seems fine, if I remember but I haven't been on it in some months. I like the site because they reference the sources of information they put on the site. As far as their safe/unsafe woods list, I haven't run into any information that goes against it. At least the woods I was concerned with at the time.

You can find safe wood lists all over the internet, not just there, there is even one on this forum. Google safe wood birds and you will find tons.

Here are some edits I would make.

One recommended cage that is very popular is the Ferret Nation 142. You can purchase this cage at your local Pets mart store or online at Ferret.com, Ebay.com , Amazon.com , or Dr.fosterandsmith.com. Sometimes you can catch them on sale at one of the sites listed or you can try to price match at your local Pets mart. All you have to do is print out the ad and bring it to the store and ask if they would price match it.[/B]

I would leave it simple here and put that the more space you can provide, the better and maybe give a minimum size. What is decent to some isn't to to others. You could leave it very basic at: Some recommended cages are the Ferret Nations (give a link) and Quality Cages (give a link).

• Chinchillas need lots of toys and things to occupy themselves while they are in there cage. [/B]
"There" should be spelled "their".

It is highly recommended to buy or makethem lots of wooden ledges to jump on, chew sticks, and other things for them to chew on also. Chinchillas love to chew to keep there (again, there should be their) teeth filed down and wood from the safe woods list is what should be used.. Here is a link to a list of safe woods ___[/B]

There are many people who make and sell chinchilla toys online. You can also buy some of these things from pet stores but prices are much better online.
• It is important to have an exotic vet that handles chinchillas in case of an emergency. You may never need to go to the vet but it’s best to have one available if any thing were to happen to your chinchilla.
• Chinchillas should not be fed low quality pellets such as those that have fruit, nuts, or treats, or those that are a general rabbit or guinea pig food.Acceptablefoods for chinchillas are Mazuri, Purina Rabbit Chow Show (PRCS), and Oxbow. Add how long they can use food before throwing it out - explain mill date.[/B]

• Chinchillas should have filtered or distilled water. There there should be their water bottles should be cleaned at least 1-2 times a week to keep it from getting nasty inside use a little better wording than "nasty inside". There are minerals and bacteria which can help or harm your chinchilla. If you're going to keep that last sentence, you need to explain which help and which harm So its best not to chance putting your chinchilla in danger by giving them out water. The last sentence sounds like you shouldn't give them water at all.[/B]

• Chinchillas also need fresh timothy hay or alfalfa hay. You can purchase this at your local Wal mart or Pets Mart. If you're going to insist on high quality pellets, carry that over to hay. Say something like, "You can purchase high quality Oxbow hay at PetSmart." They should be given fresh hay daily along with there there should be their food. Alfalfa should not be given as there there should be their primary hay. It is high in calcium so should not be given daily. That sentence should say something like, "Because of the high calcium content, alfalfa should be used sparingly as a treat hay perhaps once a week.
[/B]

• Chinchillas should be kept indoors at all times due to their sensitivity to heat and unsafe environment outside! IMO, it is easier to list acceptable ranges, like 60-70 degrees. IT Why did you capitalize IT? can cause death to your chinchilla.[/B]

• It is recommended that you take your chinchilla out for daily play time in a chin-proofedsupervised area. This means that you should play with them in areas where there are no open cords that they could chew on or small cracks and crevices that they could become lost or stuck in. Small areas are highly recommended for play time or you could purchase a play pen for them to be in during play time. It’s best that you find a tall play pen due to there ability to jump out. They also make play pen covers that can prevent this from happening. Talk about the runaround balls here.
[/B]

• It is also recommended that your chinchilla(s) have access to a wheel. They enjoy to run on there for exercise. Two recommended wheels are Chin Spins and Flying Saucers. These wheels are made for chinchillas and they can not destroy them from chewing on them.You can purchase both of these wheels from www.qualitycage.com. If you choose the Chin Spin, chinchillas should use the 15" wheel.
[/B]

• Chinchillas should have a dust bath anywhere from 1-3 times a week. This keeps their fur nice and clean. You can purchase good quality dust online. Acceptable dusts are Blue Sparkle and Blue Cloud. You also need to buy a container to put their dust in. Their dust should NOT be left in there there should be their cage permanently. It should be placed in there there should be theircage for 10-20 minutes or you could place it in there there should be their play pen with them during play time. [/B]

Chinchillas may use kiln dried pine or aspen shavings. Do NOT use Cedar shavings as they are toxic. You may also purchase or make fleece liners. These should be changed 1-2 times a week and washed. [/B]

• Please give your chinchillas treats sparingly. Raisins can be given on omit different occasions but should not be given daily! A single Cheerio is a good daily treat for them. IMO, I'd omit this sentence: Many other treats are good for chinchillas also. They can have rosehips- crushed or whole, old fashioned (not instant) oats, prepared wood sticks like apple, pecan, etc., or you could purchase sugar-free shredded wheat also. • Please make sure you do NOT have plastic items in your chinchilla’s cage! They will chew on these things and if ingested can lead to an intestinal impaction which can lead to bloat, statis,an emergency vet visit and/or fatality.
• Please do NOT bring your chinchilla outside to play. There are many things in the grass that are not good for them if they digest them , they can also escape and be lost outside. They have no way to defend themselves if this were to happen. I'd omit this section - you alread adressed it towards the beginning by saying they should only be kept indoors.
[/B]

Chins-n-hedgies.com is a great forum to learn about your chinchilla. If you ever need help many of the people on that site are experienced breeders and can help you if its not an emergency. They also have many people who sell chinchilla toys and supplies on that website. This includes ledges, treats, dust, food, hay, toys etc… I highly recommend this site to new chinchilla owners.

[/B]

I would also copy and paste into a Word doc to help with grammatical errors as well.

Back