Chinchilla cage help.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waysidecorpse

Anti Mod
I bought my chinchilla boco a new cage recently, I got him a kaytee ferret home it measures about 24 by 24 by 41.5, I was wondering if I should upgrade to a different model or different brand all together, as of now the plastic shells are still in there and the ramps plus slide aren't on there.

I think that cage is a decent size if you can find a way to remove/cover all of the plastic. For the base maybe you could detach the wire frame and drape fleece over it and reattach it, but I don't know how easy that would be to change, as I have never seen that cage in person. i also don't know how sturdy it is, if you are planning to get an exercise wheel, you should make sure that you think it is sturdy enough to withstand the weight of shelves and everything plus swaying. As far as shelves go, you could either make or buy some Kiln Dried pine or aspen wood ones. There are plenty of vendors in the classifieds section that sell shelves.

If you decide you don't think it is sturdy enough, or it is impossible/too difficult to cover the plastic, a cage that a lot of us have and recommend is the ferret nation cage. you might be able to find it on craigslist or on sale online somewhere. It is a really great cage, perfect for chins and chin owners because it is so fun to decorate :)

The bottom of the cage isn't wire its actually plastic and i cover it in aspen Wood chips so he has a place to go potty and for some reason he picked the uncovered exposed corner to do his business in my chinchilla has little shame, But the shear amount of effort it would take to cover the platforms in fleece would drive me insane not to mention boco who would be confused why he is in time out while daddy does something to his cage. Im most likely going ot get the FN cage because it looks and sound way sturdier then the Kaytee cage i have which looks and sounds like if boco got a good running start he could knock it over.

Latest posts

Back