Chinchilla Bridge parts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxxxic.kitten

Does anyone sell kiln dried wood slats (5" x 1") and/or natural wood slats (5" X 3/4" or 1" in diameter) for a chinchilla bridge?

200_buildabridgeslats1inch.JPG

200_applewoodslats.JPG

I provided pictures of what I'm talking about.

I don't know of anyone currently making them, but Ronda could probably do some for you. Might try PM'ing her.

I've been working on some. It's so hard to drill a straight hole when you're leaning on carpet. Are you interested in something specific? If Ronda can't help you, maybe I can.

Nothing too specific. Just the kiln dried pine pieces and a variety of woods that I can exchange when they get chewed up. I'm looking to make about 3 bridges.

I've been working on some. It's so hard to drill a straight hole when you're leaning on carpet.
Yea, even using clamps the holes are never strait. Ronda has a drill press which makes it much easier and faster. It still takes a lot of time to manufacture them though.

Hopefully somebody will come through for you! :))

You know, I hadn't really considered larger branches/ different kinds of wood for the bridges! I just put this on my to-do list, so I'm glad someone brought up drilling straight, etc. I wonder if it would be easier to drill holes first and then cut into pieces or cut into pieces and then drill holes. I bet one of the sellers would make an excellent profit pre-drilling bridge pieces.

I think it would be more consistant to cut the pieces to size then drill. Once you begin drilling it really isn't that hard (by hand) We know how agile chinchillas are so if the bridge wasn't "perfect" I don't think it would matter all that much!
I just made the suggestion since they do chew so much, and thin pieces probably won't hold up as long as the thicker ones. I have 2 cages my hubby is finishing up for me, and I might try a couple bridges myself. Never made one before, but does sound fun!

I'll try playing around this weekend, and if no one else comes forward let me know, and maybe I can help you out. This is when Hubby is giving his honey do list!

Do you know what length you want? And what size holes? I can do round ones easily since I have something to set them in. It's square that I mess up. I made my guys a bridge already. Do you have any preference of wood?

Yes, I can do this. I just haven't had any requests for this.

I will match Sarah's prices as follows:

Pine Slats - 5" x 1" - 2 for $1.50

Natural woods your choice of apple, cottonwood, willow, elm - 5" x 1" - 2 for $1.50

Other natural woods will be available in the future.

I can start on this project as soon as you let me know how may slats you want.

Email me at [email protected].

Ronda

I have a ton of branches that I just cooked this weekend that I was planning to make into bridges. If you dont find what your looking for elsewhere let me know. I have a drill press and have made several bridges in the past.

see this thread for pics:
http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19755&highlight=desmoines
Also if you are planning to ad parts to an existing bridge let me know how far apart the holes are. All mine are cut at four inches so that is how wide a bridge would be.

ETA: it is all ash and mulberry wood.

I have a ton of branches that I just cooked this weekend that I was planning to make into bridges. If you dont find what your looking for elsewhere let me know. I have a drill press and have made several bridges in the past.

see this thread for pics:
http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19755&highlight=desmoines
Also if you are planning to ad parts to an existing bridge let me know how far apart the holes are. All mine are cut at four inches so that is how wide a bridge would be.

ETA: it is all ash and mulberry wood.

I love that bridge!! Will you be posting it on your website or selling them through the forum? Either way, put me down for one please!

So far, SamiJami has started on what I need! If I need anymore, Ill be sure to let you all know. I like to have a variety of woods. :3

The bridges look Awesome. What do you guys use to connect them and how do you mount them inside the cage.

You use hanging chain like this:

531_buildabridgechain.JPG

And you use the pear links or whatever you want to use to hang it on the bars of your cage.

Oh, I was just going to look into wire and twist it around some kind of hook. This is all so informative! I'm also super excited that natural woods will be available for bridge parts. I think I made a deal where I would only spend $40/month on chilla toys so it's a good thing it's almost March!

Back