Chinchilla Bonding in groups of three

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina000

So I have been wanting to adopt a chin for a long time now since before I purchased my two boys and I found an add on craigslist close enough for me to drive to. I am not planning for the new chinchilla to be able to bond with my already bonded pair and I have a separate cage prepared for him already and everything. I was however wondering if anyone had any experience in getting two chins to bond with a new chin and if it is a good idea to try or if it could just mess everything else up? I understand about how to slowly introduce chinchillas because it could be dangerous and that some chins will just never bond and only fight. Both of my chinchillas are under 6 months so I wouldn't be planning this until they were over 6 months to a year so that they are not so small and fragile in case an argument did break out. This would be more safe right? or would it be better to introduce them younger? Or just not introduce them at all? Either way I will be happy because I don't plan on them all three bonding but it would make things easier for me so if it is possible I wanted to give it a try.

It's not unheard of when introducing a new chin to a bonded pair to end up with three single chins. It can cause the bonded pair to fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have three boys and three cages. Two are too aggressive for me to consider it. It's amazing how my boys can go from sweet pets to ready to kill each other. Oscar will even to some huffing and puffing if Edgar is in the bottom of his cage over two feet away. My advice is never get another chinchilla if you don't want to do everything twice, or in my case thrice, a day.

I have introduced trios and quads sometimes it works. I just tried putting a son (weaning for 1st time) and dad together didn't work out. Right now I don't have time to try again. I'll try again in early Oct. My 1st thing now is to make sure the baby eats & drinks on his own.

These aren't my chins so that is why I'm not going to rush it.

Last edited:
Some times it works and other times you make the chins that get along now fight. If you are prepared and ok with 3 cages then go ahead and try to introduce them. But if thats a problem then maybe just keep the 3rd chin to himself. The age doesnt make it any easier to pair. The personality is what will make or break it

Back