Chinchilla and Winter

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finallygotachilla

Ok my biggest worry is now that winters just around the corner and its starting to get cold i'm wondering how to keep her warm. Not so bad when i'm home as i can keep the room at a suitable temperature for my chin but when i'm not home theres no heat and it gets really cold. So my question is how can i keep her warm?
I was thinking of getting a fleece bed but wondered if she'd end up eating it when im not around to see, and end up injuring herself. Also she may wee in it to.

Ok I found an all fur boot slipper put that in in the hope that shell climb in and use it for a bed but instead she just started to eat it so ive taken it out as i feel she might do herself harm.

She probably won't get cold as chinchillas are from the high Andes, but if you are worried about it, you can try putting in a fleece cube/hideaway where she can curl up.

Your chinchilla is not gonna get cold. It's been pretty cold nowadays around my area and they live with me in the basement and it gets really cold. My room temperature can get to around 25F(is not alway just sometime my heater is off) and is just the beginning of winter. I personally think my chinchilla like the colder temperature then warmer temperature. Chinchilla can tolerate cold weather but if your really worried like what Devi Xiao said give her a hideaway house and a fleece blanket inside she can curl up in or a fleece blanket in a corner so she can curl up.

Thanks so much for your replys. Can you recommend a hideaway house and fleece blanket. I'm from the uk.

Thanks

I haven't really heard about chinchillas getting too cold being an issue, as they are from a very cold region by nature. If you are concerned though you could put a fleece cube or bed for her to cuddle into but the only fabric you should use in her cage is fleece, it is good you took the fur thing out!

They typically don't chew fleece, and if they do it shouldn't be an issue. Fleece, out of all materials, has been chosen since it doesn't get stringy and wouldn't cause an intestinal blockage. If your chin just sits there and eats its (actually ingests it) then I'd remove it.

If you're really worried about how cold she'll get, get a 100% fleece (polar or blizzard fleece/anti-pill) bed. You could even throw a sheet of fleece over the top of the cage (not over the entire thing), but allow enough ventilation so it doesn't get stuffy in her cage.

Really appreciating the replies here, thanks.
Ive found a fleece jacket in the cupboard which i dont really need to use, so i have cut a large section of it off and put it in her house, so i'm just gonna keep an eye on her.
When i first put it in she was chewing at it and has now gone back in to do the same again as i type. we'll see what happens hopefully i'll find her sleeping on it in the morning.

Latest posts

Back