Chin wont eat Hay from the hay rack :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri101

Chin has nice hay, she has been eating the Oxbow fine for a few weeks, I just bought her a wooden hay rack 2 days ago....BUT she wont eat hardly any hay from it ...Im worried she needs to eat hay and I really dont want to use the bowl hay ends up in the cage floor...Im not worried about the mess of hay I spot clean her cage daily and change it completely 2-3 times a week , I just dont feel well having her eat hay off the ground of the cage so she is not popping and peeing on it and eating it...

she is eating /drinking/chewing/playing/pooping fine

I am probably being over obsessive any advice on this would be great ty!!
!

If you go back to the "normal" ways with the hay, does she still eat it? Is the hay holder mounted too high on the cage? My chins are always after the hay, no matter where it is!

If you go back to the "normal" ways with the hay, does she still eat it? Is the hay holder mounted too high on the cage? My chins are always after the hay, no matter where it is!

yes if I throw the hay in the bowl or corner of the cage she eats it ...I think she is scared of the hanging mounted small hay rack its low enough for her to reach right in and I even have the hay hanging out of it spilling over she just wont go near it ....weird huh

Yeah, I have to say that is weird. I suppose you could try a can and put the hay in that" maybe see if she isn't afraid of that?

Anyone else have input?

Vincenza won't eat hay from in between the bars of her manger but she will eat it from the top. She likes to perch on the top of the manger.

I think your girl just needs some time to adjust to a new item in her environment. Some chins are scared of new things. Give it a few days. If she's still eating pellets, drinking water, and pooping I'm sure she'll be fine without hay for a couple of days. Give it a few days and if she doesn't adjust try a different location. Some chins are picky, but if she won't go near it then it sounds like she's scared of it. You might try putting hay that's a little more tempting to help her get over her fears a little quicker. Try some ochard, botanical, alfalfa or some other hay blend. My girls go crazy for the botanical and eat it more quickly than the timothy. If it smells extra yummy she might decide it's worth the risk. I think once she realizes the hay box isn't going to eat her she'll be willing to eat out of it.

Yes I am thinking she is like "what is this in my cage" when I changed her house she was fine...loved the new one...new toys she is good but this hay rack is puzzling....Ill grab some mixed hay and maybe that will entice her !!

Latest posts

Back