Chin with Allergies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolyBegeebers

Shannon Marie
Phoebe, my mosaic, has been sneezing off and on for a while. She sneezed a bit when we first brought her home in April. I took her to our exotic vet. We were told she was perfectly healthy with no abnormal sounds in her heart or lungs. She had no discharge from her eyes, nose, or ears. A couple weeks ago, because the sneezing hadn't stopped, we took her back to the vet. Again, she had no abnormal sounds in her heart or lungs. She had no discharge from her eyes, nose, or ears. However, the vet gave us ten days of antibiotics to give her twice a day. The antibiotics are over with and she is still sneezing. She doesn't sneeze all the time, just off and on. Her cage sisters have not developed any signs or symptoms. Could I have a chin that just sneezes every once in a while or possibly allergic to something? She doesn't wipe her nose any more often than the other girls either.

Thanks in advance.

I had three with allergies, one was allergic to pine shavings, one to loose alfalfa and one to who knows what, he was the worst and needed Benadryl or he would not breathe in the springtime.

First off, thank you so much for affirming my expectation. Before we realized the dangers involved (inexperience), we used Carefresh's paper bedding and she sneezed with that. However, that was quickly changed to Planet Petco Aspen Wood Bedding. We currently feed her with timothy hay. I'm thrilled to have your help in figuring this out.

~Shannon Marie~

Yes, I took Toffee to the vet twice with the same issue, she had no discharge, everything was normal except for the sneezing, on and off, sometimes she wouldn't sneeze for days or weeks, sometimes I hear her continuously sneeze for minutes, it worries me, but my vet had checked her over and over, and said there was nothing wrong with her, she suggested that chins can have allergies too, but I still don't know what it is that's starting her up, it's been a year and a half now since iVe had her, she still sneezes, and I still don't know what it is.

I guess you could try removing one item at a time from the cage to test if your chin stops sneezing or continues to sneeze? Perhaps that would help you find out what your chin is really allergic to.

My little Athena is highlyyyy allergic to loose Alfalfa. Her eyes swell shut and she starts making weird noises in her throat. The vet couldn't tell me anything, I just had to start taking things out of her cage to see when she started getting better. Vets can't always help you because they don't interact with your chin as much as you do:) !

Barb,

I've not heard her sneeze so much post bathing. Usually, it is once or several times in the mornings. (For a chin, Phoebe is pretty active during the day.) I may work on changing some things up, one at a time, and see if it remedies it.

I had three with allergies, one was allergic to pine shavings, one to loose alfalfa and one to who knows what, he was the worst and needed Benadryl or he would not breathe in the springtime.
Seth, At what point in time did you decide to give your chin Benadryl? While taking out some of the factors which caused Phoebe issues, I am finding that the fall allergy season is here and she is sneezing more. I know it is not a URI as she has no wheezing or drainage. Thank you.

Back