Chin with a thyroid problem

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddykay

I bought my chin about four months ago and the previous owner told me she has a thyroid problem. She said it's not a big deal and doesn't affect her. She just isn't allowed to eat sunflower seeds.

Is there anything else we should avoid or is there anything I should be doing?
Also, could anyone describe to me the symptoms of a thyroid problem in a chinchilla?

I don't know anything about thyroid issues in chins, but no chin should have sunflower seeds anyway. Chinchillas are specifically grass herbivores, so no seeds, no nuts, no fruit (dried or fresh), no vegetables (dried or fresh), no berries, no dairy, no animal products (meat, leather, hoof, antler, bone, eggs, etc). Their primary diet should be about 75% hay grass, and the pellets fill in the other nutrients the hay lacks to make a balanced diet.

Amethyst is right: chins shouldn't have seeds of any kind, including sunflower seeds.
Hay, pellets, and fresh water is all they really need. If you want to give the odd treat, try dried rosehips, or a pinch of rolled oats.

I don't know anything about thyroid issues, but you could try typing "thyroid" into the forum's search function, and see if anything comes up. Good luck!

Need more info if the proplem is hypo or hyper thyroid and who diagnosed it based on what symptoms.

Back