Chin vision

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanceswithElvis

House Hobo
Okay Nibbler freaked out today and I'm not exactly sure over what. I ended up taking him into the bed room and letting him hide under the bed to calm him down. My question is, how good is chin vision...how good is their colour vision?

Chins will react with fear over many different things. He may have seen something but he may have also reacted to sounds or smells. I had a chin who was very frightened by blinking christmas lights. It took a while to figure out what was frightening her but it was most definitely blinking of the lights. When I stopped the blinking and the lights remained on all the time she was fine. Chins see in color and their vision is good.

Chins will react with fear over many different things. He may have seen something but he may have also reacted to sounds or smells. I had a chin who was very frightened by blinking christmas lights. It took a while to figure out what was frightening her but it was most definitely blinking of the lights. When I stopped the blinking and the lights remained on all the time she was fine. Chins see in color and their vision is good.

So there's really no telling what he was upset about. I'm assuming he doesn't like the TV being up louder than normal (my husband and our roommate were watching football).

Oh, you're KC area? That's awesome. I'm in the same area.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2953

"In addition to the nocturnal features of the iris, lens, and pupil, the retina also exhibits all the characteristics of nocturnality. It is composed entirely of rods which are very attenuated (1.2-2micrometer in diameter) and closely packed. It is a receptor apparatus for scotopic vision, and it is apparent also that the rod threshods are low as evidenced by the fact that even in dim light the pupil closes quite far down."

Rod cells within the eye have little or nothing to do with color vision, only cones so chinchillas aren't very good at seeing color, some say only blue and green. Most liley they are only able to differentiate shades of grey.

Last edited:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2953

"In addition to the nocturnal features of the iris, lens, and pupil, the retina also exhibits all the characteristics of nocturnality. It is composed entirely of rods which are very attenuated (1.2-2micrometer in diameter) and closely packed. It is a receptor apparatus for scotopic vision, and it is apparent also that the rod threshods are low as evidenced by the fact that even in dim light the pupil closes quite far down."

Rod cells within the eye have little or nothing to do with color vision, only cones so chinchillas aren't very good at seeing color, some say only blue and green. Most liley they are only able to differentiate shades of grey.

Oh awesome thank you!

Back