Chin Spin Shaking Ferret Nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolcanoBunny

I have the most recent model of the Ferret Nation two story cage. I also have a chin spin which my two boys LOVE. The only issue is that their cage is in my room and when they get put up for they night they fancy a go on their wheel. As much as I love the sound of a rattling cage at 3am, I can't say I wouldn't mind it being a little quieter. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, was there anything you did that was successful in remedying it?

Mimi's chin spin shakes her cage, but I'm so use to it now that I sleep through it no problem.

Mischki the Tornado!

My chin, Mischki, loves her wheel, and when I had her cage in my room, I used strips of anti-pill fleece between the doors. I also put strips in the plastic shelves that came with the cage (where the plastic tucks into the metal frames). Another option is to buy wood shelves (which I want to do, but don't have the money). The wood shelves, from what I've been told, help make the cage heavier and help it to shake less.

One other thing I did was move the wheel from the side of the cage to the back, and that seemed to stabilize it a little more.

Hope these ideas help!

Both of my cages shake when the girls are running. Artie is my loudest. She does not have soft feet. Shelly runs so hard she will shake the entire cage (she is in an FN142). Button is my quitest girl. She is very light on her feet. Both my 142 and 182 shake.
I do have small cardboard strips under the doors to help the noise level down. Honestly I've gotten used to it. 9 out of 10 times I will sleep through the girls running.

I have the issue with the chin spin myself. I just unhook it and place it facing down before I go to sleep and then put it back up in the morning. I tried to sleep through it for a week and I wasn't having much luck.

I have a Fiesty Ferret cage which is not nearly as sturdy as your FN, and we can barely hear Andie when he is running in his Chin Spin. The cage does not rattle or make any kind of noise, it's more just his feet pattering along as he runs.

I added two 1" metal bars to the back of his cage since I was afraid the thin wire that makes up the side panels would not be able to handle the weight of the wheel. Maybe this mod would help with the noise since we can barely hear ours.

And I have to give credit to another member of the forum for coming up with this modification. Can't find the original post right now, but I am so thankful they posted this how-to.

Attachments

• reinforced.jpg
    reinforced.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 18
HAHA I know they're on it so often that it's a bit like background noise at this point. It's so funny you mention the fleece because my cage looks so silly right now with all the different patterned extra fleece I had from making liners sticking out of all the doors. Thank you all for your replies!

I have a FN 182 and it use to vibrate really bad. I talked to a friend about it and she told me how to help that. I attached an picture of how I have mine attached and I also have washers on both sides. It doesn't completely stop the vibrations but it greatly reduced it. Hope this helps :)

If it is actually the cage that is rattling also I made fleece ties and put 3 ties on the front, back, both sides on the top of the cage and the bottom rack because that was also a problem with just one of my cages, my other two cages don't rattle like that one did. If the bass pan is rattling against the bottom of the cage you can use fleece to place under the bass pan and that helps that noise too. My chins are in my room as well I have 3 cages in there...lol As for the doors I use these little oatmeal pad things and cut them in half and then cut the thickness down so that the doors will shut. If you do use that you will have to pay extra attention to making sure the doors actually click shut. I always double check mine and have found a couple times that it did not shut completely.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
My cage did the same thing. My chins absolutely LOVE their wheel. They actually got so crazy on it once, that the cage fell over (thankfully neither of my babies were hurt). I put the cage against a wall and secured it with a screw. Worked like a charm. :)

Placing a full length shelf just above the wheel will make the side sturdier and lessen the rattling. This works for most cages.

Latest posts

Back