Chin spin rubbing on fleece liner?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNChinLover

Hello, I am anxiously awaiting to get my chins at the end of summer. I have gone overboard on fleece, and have not had it sewn yet.

However, I laid some in the bass pans and have the wheel up right now and I have noticed that it rubs on the fleece.... If I remove the fleece it spins a lot easier.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Maybe I am attaching things wrong in the FN? I try and have the washers go on top of where the horizontal and vertical bars cross.. Is it okay to attach it in the middle of the spacing, or maybe where the end of a washer rests on top of the horizontal bar, but is not on it?

I like the wheel low to the ground so I don't want to move it to the second horizontal bar..

Thank you!

The best place to mount it is on the second horizontal bar. Granted, you can't put a shelf over it but it is the best place to have it. It doesn't rub, slip or make as much noise when mounted there.

The best place to mount it is on the second horizontal bar. Granted, you can't put a shelf over it but it is the best place to have it. It doesn't rub, slip or make as much noise when mounted there.

Won't that also increase chances of chins getting hurt? Since there is like 4-6 or so inches from the bottom of the cage?

That isn't much of a distance for a chin. They can handle it and some even like to purposely jump out while it is going really fast, just to watch the thing spin. They are stinkers. Over 2 feet is too far for a chin to fall.

The advice given by obcsed is solid advice. Mount it higher so it spins freely but be sure that the chinchilla cannot get wedged between the wheel and any other surface (floor, sides or roof) as THAT is a serious hazard. I haven't had it happen with chins...but I once lost a hamster that way and I'll never forget the lesson. There was a shelf too close to the wheel...the hamster tried jumping on the outside of the wheel (all rodents try this occasionally) and the wheel spun wedging the hammy between the wheel and the shelf :( it was aweful

As obsced said, the second horizontal bar is fine and safe for a chin. It's where all mine are mounted. They aren't made of glass and jump further distances than what the wheel will be mounted off the floor. ;)

I mount mine on the side but others like it on the back wall.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 12
I would prefer to have mine on the back and in a corner (hopefully deterring a corner to pee in) and so I can see them run. And I think it just looks nicer.

I've been going through several of the pages (65 so far) of the FN club and I see a lot of people have it right where I have mine or in the other corner. I may try and move it up a little and see if that works.. I have time to figure it out as it will be 5+ months before my chins are ready to use it!

Latest posts

Back