Chin Spin or Silver Surfer?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin_mom

Slave to Kindle <3
Hello Chinnie Experts!

I cannot decide between a Chin Spin or Silver Surfer? My chinchilla is young so I know she will grow into this wheel. I just wondered which is better? Price is not a factor.

Also if the Chin Spin is a better choice, what size 11", 13" or 15"?

I got her a Martin's Chinchilla Skyscraper R-695 with out the ramps, floor or balconies and Martin's refunded my money for taking out the un-needed extras!

Thank you in advance for your help and expertise!

If you go with the Chin Spin, get the 15 inch. In the case of the wheel, bigger is better. It allows more running space and a more natural gait.

I have Flying Saucer wheels, so between those who I can't tell you which is better.

I like my Silver Surfers over the Chin Spins. The powder coating on all my Chin Spins chipped off and I had to replace the bearings in all of them at least twice over a 3 year period. They've been replaced with Silver Surfers/Flying Saucer.

I also really like my Flying Saucer. Had it for about 4 years now and never had any problems with it.

Last edited:
I had a chin spin and definitely prefer my silver surfers. They are holding up MUCH better.

For those who've had both--is there a noticeable noise difference between the two wheels? We've a very light sleeper in the house and this would be a big factor in our wheel-purchasing decision.

For those who've had both--is there a noticeable noise difference between the two wheels? We've a very light sleeper in the house and this would be a big factor in our wheel-purchasing decision.

The silver surfers weigh less than the Chin Spins and are in general more compact, so they IMO are quieter than my Chin Spins. The Chin Spins were just so top heavy (I realize they're the same all the way around, but this is the only describing term I can think of lol) and caused more cage rattle in my case. The silver surfers themselves are silent, but still do cause a little bit of cage rattle. Just not as much as the chin spins. I think it more depends on your cage and it's set up rather than the wheels themselves.

Last edited:
IMO I like my chin spins better than the silver surfer. I've only had to replace the bearings on the chin spins once and they are fairly quiet. I have 2 silver surfers and both get really loud when a chin goes super fast on it.

I like my surfers. I did have to put a square of double thick cardboard behind the center of the wheel, between the cage and the part you mount on the cage to stop the banging sound that started happeneing after we had the wheels for a couple months. But now they're pretty much silent. The only sound I get is the occassional sound of stuff on top of the cage banging together when one of the chins really gets running.

I appreciate everyone's input. I decided on the 15" Chin Spin. It seems to be constructed well and I like the look of it too. I think my lil one will be quite happy with this when it arrives. (Sorry still deciding on a name for her....narrowed it down to 2 names!)

My chin spin has been great for the 5 years that I have had it. Only needed to replace the bearings once. the powder coating has not peeled, but it is worn off on the front edge where one of my chins used to shew on it.

Thanks, Cuddlebug! That is good to know. I hope her chin spin gets here soon. She is quite an active girl and very curious so she may nibble on her chin spin too. We shall see!

Oh by the way...we named her Kindle, my husband said she is a unique creature and deserves a unique name as well. We both love our Kindle e-readers so we chose that for her name!

Back