Chin Spin: How long to learn how to use it?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danakscully64

Chinchilla Mommy
I was just curious how long it took some of your chins to learn how to use the Chin Spin. My girl Twilight picked it up immediately, she runs on it daily. My boys have had it in their cage for 3 months and it wasn't until 2 nights ago when one of them, Midnight, learned how to use it. The boys were both afraid of it at first. They would hop in and since it would move, they would run off scared. I almost sold the boys Chin Spin, I'm very glad I didn't.

I'll be in my living room, which is right next to their bedroom (my chins and rabbit have their own room) and I'll hear a chin running a marathon. I can tell who it is because the boys poop on theirs, so I can hear the noise difference. They're not loud, I just leave their door open so I can hear them and so my dog can watch them (she loves my critters). I'm so glad I invested in these, absolutely worth the money.

Twilight on her Chin Spin:

Twilight-ChinSpin.jpg

Full Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCNutOYP7u4

Kenai picked it up right away as well, though he had been exposed to wheels at the breeder's, so I'm not sure if that really counts. I think it's usually easier for them to figure out the chin spin than the saucer... less of a balance challenge. Koko was a pro at the saucer pretty quickly as well, though... If I remember, it only took him a few days to figure it out.

I just had a quick question. Is your chin spin the 11 inch one or the 15 inch one? I've been looking into buying one and I don't know which would be best

My gang learned how to use them right away. But the flying saucer took a few months.

The person asking about what size wheel. Buy the big one. The 11 is too small.

Look at her go on that wheel! What a pro. Yeah, girls are just smarter than boys all around hehe. I just read the other day that someone held a treat up high while their chin was sitting on the wheel and as the chin reached for the treat the wheel turned and they got the hang of it. Kinda like holding a carrot in front of a donkey. My boys seemed to catch on fairly quickly but took longer to figure out the Saucer.

Kenai picked it up right away as well, though he had been exposed to wheels at the breeder's, so I'm not sure if that really counts. I think it's usually easier for them to figure out the chin spin than the saucer... less of a balance challenge. Koko was a pro at the saucer pretty quickly as well, though... If I remember, it only took him a few days to figure it out.

:D I want a saucer just to see if my babies can figure it out. It looks like fun, can I get one in my size? :p

I just had a quick question. Is your chin spin the 11 inch one or the 15 inch one? I've been looking into buying one and I don't know which would be best

15 inch :D I got mine from Quality Cage for $55 each plus $20 shipping (for 2). It was a lot and even though I had a ton of people on here telling me it was worth it, I was hesitant. I'm glad I listened to the other chin owners. :thumbsup: What's good is the 15 inch is only $6 more than the 11", so the price difference is small.

My gang learned how to use them right away. But the flying saucer took a few months.

The person asking about what size wheel. Buy the big one. The 11 is too small.

:D I want to get a flying saucer to see how long it takes my chins to learn it. I bet my girl would pick up faster, she's very smart. She's the only one who figured out the hammock too. The boys jump in, freak out because it sways, and run. It's now Twilight's favorite spot to sleep.

Look at her go on that wheel! What a pro. Yeah, girls are just smarter than boys all around hehe. I just read the other day that someone held a treat up high while their chin was sitting on the wheel and as the chin reached for the treat the wheel turned and they got the hang of it. Kinda like holding a carrot in front of a donkey. My boys seemed to catch on fairly quickly but took longer to figure out the Saucer.

:D This was on day 1 or 2 too, she picked it up immediately. Girls are smarter in all species, that's just the way God made us :p And hotter too.

That's not a bad idea at all. My oldest, Shadow (he's about 9), is very weird about new things. He won't run on the wheel, won't lay in his hammock, ahd he's very picky about where he gets pet. He's not as social as my other 2, that may be my fault though, I was only 15 when I got him (not sure if I knew how to handle him then- I knew everything about nutrition from research, but I never held him much). He also came from Petco, that could be a major factor.

Latest posts

Back