Chin sleeping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annamageddon

Hello everyone,

I'm a brand new chin owner I only got my girl Chinny two days ago. Since I'm still brand new I don't know what the sleeping norm is for chinchillas. She's been sleeping a lot just on her side. What are normal sleeping habits? Do you think she could be sleeping more than usual now to sleep off the stress of a move? Thank you and sorry if the question is dumb I just wanna take good care of my chin.

Annie

Hi Annie. Chins pretty much sleep all day, and a lot of the night too. They will run around at night and take little catnaps. Mine can be skittish during the day if I bother them. They wake up and eat but want to be left alone until the evening. Be patient with the bonding, sit next to her and talk. Put your hand in the cage and let her come to you. Send us a picture soon please. Good luck.;)

I'm new to owning a chin, myself. What I've noticed with Nibbler is that he is pretty quiet most of the day, sleeping either in his house or on one of his shelves some place. Occasionally waking up to go eat, throw hay around or drag a toy to a new spot. And he does that most of the night too, until I let him out for play time at 9pm. Then, he goes back to cat napping until he get really active from about 3am - to close to 10am.

Thank you both! I'm relieved she's normal lol. I attached a picture of her. For some reason I can only upload one photo at a time on this forum. She's so pretty I'm excited to get to know her better. Mgonya do your chins mostly sleep in a hut or just any old place? It's the oddest thing but chummy will run on her wheel and then just sorta lay and nap for a minute then start running again. Thanks!:)

Attachments

• IMAG0423.jpg
    IMAG0423.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 18
It can mean two things when a chin sleep on the side. Either the room is too hot for the chin or the chin is comfortable sleeping like that. If it's the latter, then nothing to worry about :) My chin does it too!

picture.php

Kishi sleeps on her side about 90 percent of the time,it really depends on how much room she's left herself,sometimes she'll chew her wooden hut down to a nub and then she won't have a sleeping space until i get a new one and then she'll sleep like a little puffball on her tiny little wooden ledge(i bought it for her to use as a step when she plays.)
she sleeps most of the day and night, she's only awake in the evening or the wee hours of the morning, of course she'll come up for scritchies any time the door is open.
mostly i just sat beside her and talked to her while i did every day tasks.

Latest posts

Back