Chin proofing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

Just wanted to get some insight on what other chin owners do to chinproof their play room. I just bought my first home and my chins will have their own bedroom for play time. What works best for you folks?

I use a lot of cardboard boxes to block off areas. I clean everything up and make sure they can't get under anything. Sometimes I block off the bottom of things with a hoodie or some other piece of clothing.

i was going to make the same post! just looking for suggstions.

currently i use several of those trifold project boards. they cost about 3bucks apiece at walmart and i got 4 of them i think. i open them up and attached them together using office o-rings. i form the boards into a u shape around the front of the ferret nation cages. i block off the bottom of the cages so they cant jump into the storage space there.

my question to everyone is.... what do you give your chins to play with during playtime? do you leave the floor space open and empty for running? or put anything for them to jump on and explore? cardboard boxes? etc?

my bf and i are wanting to make some sort of junglegym or playground for them to play on and was just looking for ideas.

This was just the topic I was looking for, too! So far the only thing I've been able to use is a hallway that I have. I block off both ends with baby gates stacked on top of one another. It works wonderfully, but it's not exactly a really big amount of space. It's also not too bright.

I've tried the bathroom before but I got a bit paranoid with all the potential germs and chemicals that are used in the room regularly.

I've also tried my bedroom (made sure everything was cleaned etc) but that never stopped them from either a) becoming really great at hide-and-seek, and b)taking a bite out of furniture and/or my wall.

So far the hallway with baby gates is the winner :/

I use a lot of cardboard boxes to block off areas. I clean everything up and make sure they can't get under anything. Sometimes I block off the bottom of things with a hoodie or some other piece of clothing.

This is exactly what I do too!

We have a spare room, with cardboard all around the bottom of the walls to protect the skirting board. We also have several different sized tunnels made from untreated kiln dried pine planking (I just nailed them together myself), and a wheel nailed to an old desk, for them to play on. Added to that are some long cardboard tubes (like the kind that large laminated posters come in), and their dust bath.

I also put in suitable chew toys, but I found my girls were all far more interested in just running and wall surfing.... they just wanted exercise, and afterwards, a nice bath!!

since i have 5 chins and 2 ferrets, they have there own room. I lined the walls with fleece. I took off the trim boards and used poplar as trim. It also holds the fleece to the wall so there is no seam for them to get to.

Down side; its a little expensive.
Also the poplar makes it a rather permanent display. You cant rly take it down to wash it or anything.
Its tricky to put up since fleece stretches so much. You (i did) wanted it at full stretch so the chins have a much harder time of trying to mess with it.

Edit: i should point out that my girls EAT cardboard so i cant use that. They also ate the paint off the walls....

I also had that issue with my for girls LOL that's why I posted this. The fleece sounds like a really good idea! Thank you

Latest posts

Back