Chin pees in wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeds777

Hello!

I have been a chin owner for 2 months now and I have a problem. We bought her a silent spinner wheel after her comfort wheel broke and she loves it. However, she's taken to peeing in it regularly and sometimes running in it before it seeps through the holes causing it to get in her fur. Is there any way I can get her to stop? I don't want this to lead to fur rot or any problems.

First off remove the wheel, the silent spinner is not chin safe, it's too small, they have been known to tip over trapping the chin and it's made of plastic. The minimum diameter for a chin wheel is 14" otherwise the chin is bending their back the wrong way which will lead to back injury. There should be no plastic in the chin's cage, almost all chins will chew plastic (there are a few that claim their chin doesn't) and that can lead to an impaction (which requires an emergency vet visit and surgery) since plastic is not digestible. Some popular safe wheels for chinchillas are, the silver surfer, metal flying saucer, and the chin spin. There are no safe wheels sold in big box pet stores yet, hopefully one day. No wheel is better then an unsafe wheel.

As to preventing peeing on the wheel I don't have any advice, but with the metal flying saucer the pee would just run off it.

Latest posts

Back