Chin peeing on Chin Spin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinHedgies

My chin keeps peeing on her Chin Spin every night. This morning she had a dirty face because of running on a soiled wheel - which cannot be healthy! I wasn't completely sure of what to do so I let her have a dust bath a day early and she looked much better, however I am at a loss of what to do about her dirty wheel. I take the Chin Spin out at least once a week and clean the whole thing and I wipe down the running surface every evening. But I cannot keep up with her messiness!! I have been thinking of switching to a Saucer wheel - do you guys think that this would be a good idea? Would it be easier to keep clean? Would a saucer throw pee all over the room? As of right now Pebbles doesn't get a wheel until I can figure out what to do (she has tons of ledges). I want to keep her healthy!
Thanks for any suggestions! :)

I don't know what others will say but one of my boys pees on EVERYTHING. In his food bowl, hay bowl, wheel etc. I don't know what to do to stop it either but I switched Bullwinkle to a chin spin vs. a flying saucer because he would pee on the saucer and the pee would fly everywhere. Is the door of your cage not big enough where you can just reach in and wipe it off real quick every morning then clean it real good every week or so? That's what I have to do.

I do clean off the running surface every evening and take the wheel out at least once a week to try and clean the whole thing (including the wood back), but it is just so gross everyday and now that her fur is starting to get dirty from it I am thinking of switching. I was wondering if the pee would fly all over on the saucer...sounds like it does, which is just as unhealthy.

I have not tried that yet - but I will! I'll rearrange her cage tomorrow during cleaning and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well while we are on the topic, is it normal for chins to poo in their food bowl? I really dont want my fuyu to eat her own poo and I just changed it out. Any ideas? :/

Chins eat their poop anyway, so that's not a problem; but there's no way to stop them from pooping in a dish. The best way to control it is to get a hanging feeder instead.

Pebbles poops in her food bowl also - I just change the food daily. There is usually only a few pieces of poo in the bowl, but for sanity reasons I chuck the food and put a small handful back in. She doesn't seem to eat much of her pellets - but she LOVES her hay!

Back