Chin oder?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRIZZYPBALLR

I may be purchasing a chin, or pair of chins very soon, my wife is very curious, do chins have a certain oder, or they an animal that you dont know if there until you see them? LoL

I haven't really noticed any odor. If anything I've smelled the wood chips that I use as bedding. From my understanding chinchillas don't have ammonia in their pee which doesn't give them the stinky smell of lets say, a ferret.

Chins will only smell is theyre cages arent cleaned regularly. Some chins urine will smell worse than others but for the most part a once per week cage cleaning is efficient without any noticeable smell

I have never experienced an odor of any kind with my chins, as long as they're cages are cleaned once a week you should be fine. This was quite a relief for me after previously owning a ferret which smelled awful!

i have never smelled anything, except for a few times when i was late cleaning the cage.. but that was my fault.. [urine]

My house never smells, the boys are in my living room. I've had it tested by other people, just to make sure I'm just not used to it! If I stick my head in their cage sometimes it will start to smell a little if it's near cleaning day, but I have to stick my head actually through the cage door to smell it. Mine are also litter box trained, for the most part, so I just empty that every other day which helps too.

mine smelly dusty after a dust bath but no they don't stink unless you don't keep up with their mess.

Thanks for the responses!

My house never smells, the boys are in my living room. I've had it tested by other people, just to make sure I'm just not used to it! If I stick my head in their cage sometimes it will start to smell a little if it's near cleaning day, but I have to stick my head actually through the cage door to smell it. Mine are also litter box trained, for the most part, so I just empty that every other day which helps too.

You can liter box train chins!?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will smell their dust and you will smell their shavings, if you use shavings. Some people use fleece liners which have to be washed every so often. Chins DO have ammonia in their urine but the fleece or shavings absorb it until they become saturated, then you begin to smell it but if you're on top of the cleaning, it should not be a problem.

Chins eat a low protein diet so their stools do not smell when compared to ferrets, cats, dogs and other animals that eat high protein diets. Ferrets also have musk glands that contribute to their smell, chins do not.

As for litter training chins - they tend to urinate in one corner. If you stick the litter pan there, they will go there. You cannot train them to poop in it, however. They poo as they please.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back