Chin Not Eating While in Heat

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idgie

Chin Geek
Hi, my chin, Ripley often has difficulties when she goes into heat. One time I even took her to the vet because she was barking, spraying urine, spinning, biting at herself, etc. She seems to have trouble losing her plug.

At the beginning of the week, she started with this kind of behavior (but not as bad), so I assumed that I need to just wait it out. She has stopped this behavior, but now she isn’t eating or drinking much at all. It‘s not unusual for her to not want to play at times, but the not eating concerns me. She is peeing & pooping very, very little. She will take some oats and herbs, but doesn’t seem excited about them. But I want her to keep her bowels moving.

I’m checking with vets for appointments, but it’s hard to get in. I guess that I want to be sure it isn’t something else. And I don’t want to wait until it is an emergency.

Anyone with any thoughts?

I have her at the exotic vet now and her physical exam was fine. But we are moving forward with more tests just to be sure that it isn’t a uterine issue or something else.

The vet did x-rays and blood tests. She possibly has some minor soft tissue distension, but it is unclear if that is normal for her or pyometra. Her white count is elevated, so she has some sort of infection. So we are treating her with an anti-inflammatory and antibiotics along with Critical Care. The vet didn’t want to jump right into spaying her since it’s not an easy thing (especially since she is 7 years old) and we aren’t even sure if that’s her problem. But I’m going to watch her like a hawk and hopefully she’ll get better. If she does take a turn, then it will be an emergency. Keep your fingers crossed.

Update is that it definitively is pyrometra, open now. That is somewhat of the good news, though we won’t know if she will respond to the antibiotics. Any good thoughts are appreciated!

I wish I could help but I only have one girl and she doesn't seem too different while in heat. Thank you for the update, praying for a good recovery for her!

My girl had open pyrometra when she was 12 and had successful spay surgery. My vet indicated it tends to come back once they have it. If the antibiotics clear her up you will definitely have to keep an eye on her moving forward if that is the case. I hope she’s doing better!

That is good to hear in that I wasn’t sure if 7 years old was too old to do the surgery. I am preparing for that choice to come up. Was the recovery difficult?

That is good to hear in that I wasn’t sure if 7 years old was too old to do the surgery. I am preparing for that choice to come up. Was the recovery difficult?
She stayed at the vet for two days after surgery then came home. She wasn’t quite as active initially, but she still wanted her playtime, she was eating well and back to herself pretty quickly. I’d say it went well!

Wanted to follow-up and say that Ripley had the ovariohysterectomy Saturday morning and came home at dinner time. She is still taking Baytril, Meloxicam, and Critical Care. I asked that they give me a cone to take home, but so far she is too tired to pick at herself. So far, so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sorry that I haven’t updated-it’s just been a difficult journey with many vet visits and changes in strategy. Ripley still wasn’t eating or drinking or pooping on her own after the surgery. So we stopped the Baytril and added metoclopramide to get her gut moving and a probiotic. She basically never improved. When she refused to swallow the Critical Care, we knew that we had to let her go.

Needless to say, we are heartbroken 💔 We know that we did all that we could and had a wonderful life together—so no guilt or regrets. It hurts all the same 😩

Back