Chin not eating, laying down, and diarehea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve

When I got Lucky he was very skinny and still is he had a cut along his gums, but that healed up and he has been eating really well. He ate some oatmeal last night and, once I put some fresh hay in the cage he ate that right up, so I went to bed like any other day. When I woke up this morning to clean his cage I noticed he as not acting like himself. He so I tried giving him a Cherrio and he would not take it so I took him out to investigate, and he kept having diarehea, he is extremely suttle and won't really walk around. He is the chin that normally will run right to you is always excited and alert. I'm not sure what to do the vets around my area do not know a thing about chins. If anyone has any advice let me know asap so I can do what needs to be done

When my chins had diarehea the vet said it was a bacteria caused by eating something they shouldnt have, i think maybe there was something off in their food an bought a new batch just in case. I would put fresh hay in and some fresh water and try to encourage to eat and drink. I wouldnt give any treats, some people on here might have some ideas on some things to give him but i would take him to the vets asap.

Hope he gets better though

When my chins had diarehea the vet said it was a bacteria caused by eating something they shouldnt have, i think maybe there was something off in their food an bought a new batch just in case. I would put fresh hay in and some fresh water and try to encourage to eat and drink. I wouldnt give any treats, some people on here might have some ideas on some things to give him but i would take him to the vets asap.

Hope he gets better though

This would be fine if the chinchilla were not exhibiting signs of lethargy, but he is. Lethargy is a huge red flag and is not to be taken lightly. Usually when chins show signs of lethargy, something is very wrong. The chin needs to get veterinary care asap. Where are you located? Start calling around for vets in your area and find one that will treat him.

He will need to be handfed if he is not eating. Anorexia can lead to GI stasis which is another huge problem in it's own.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. Please find a vet ASAP.

Hoping for the best...

Extreme lethargy and diarrhea could point to stasis already, chin needs a vet ASAP, this will not cure itself.

Back