Chin nearly gives me a heartattack, I (almost) learn a lesson

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amphy64

Henry is fortunately totally fine, but gosh did he give me a scare today! It was sort of my own fault, though...

So, I was doing my usual wellness check. Bright eyes, bushy tail, four paws with all toesies present and correct, no hair rings, no mats, just a few loose tufts of fur... Oh no. Then I felt a bump, deep under his coat. On pulling back the fur as best I could, I could see a red lump. A tumour, or some horrible wound? How could I have been so careless as not to have noticed sooner? My poor precious doomed wriggly darling, who won't let me get a proper look...hold still just a sec...

Hang on...that looks, suspiciously like...

A goji berry. A goji berry, stuck in the poor fluffball's coat. Oh.
Yes, I know, I know. He only gets one as a very very occasional treat, usually it's healthy stuff. I figure this one probably fell out of the packet, because I didn't give it him loose or he'd have eaten it right away.

A quick snip later, and the berry was safely detached, fortunately without too much trouble or further stickiness as it was mostly just attached to a few hairs, though close to the skin. I was torn between making a huge, tearful fuss over my newly miraculously healed precious baby, and cursing up a storm over the fright...so went with both at once.

So, I guess I have now learned a new, additional reason to be careful with chins and dried fruit - it's sticky! I'm sure his perspective on the whole thing would just be 'waste of a good goji berry', but he's enjoying his healthier dried herbs instead, for now!

Sticky dried fruit is sticky on the teeth, chins can get cavities just like humans so stick with the sugarless stuff!

Too funny the story, the relief then the anger is something chins cause all the time!

Back