Chin Mom has Mastitis, what do I do with the Kits?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverWolf696

Chin lover!!!!
So my chin Shadow had kits about a week ago and when we checked on her today (which we do everyday) noticed she had really swollen infected nipple. So we rushed her to the vet and now she's on TMS but she has triplets who still need milk. I'm not sure what to do as the only other female I have nursing cut off her runt (who we're handfeeding now and is doing awesome) and has two little ones still with her at 141g and 133g I don't know what to do to ensure that these new triplets make it though with mom on antibiotics. Is that safe? Help!

My vet told me when an antibiotic was safe or not for the nursing kits. So call up their office and ask. =)

I had to hand feed because the one my chinmom was on was toxic to growing bones, so do ask!

TMS should not be dangerous for the kits, it's an antibiotic my vet has prescribed for me for kits when they needed it.

Baytril is the antibiotic you need to worry about with kits and nursing mothers.

I would leave the kits with her but watch weights and for fighting. With 1 less nipple working there may not be enough milk to go around. I had the same problem a few months ago and thankfully had a good mother to foster one of the kits.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. This is true of our dogs, so I would assume it to be the same with chinchillas.... Mastitis is an infection. Even with the antibiotics your kits are still drinking in that infection. Watch them closely, if you see runny poops or any signs of them looking lethargic, find a foster mom. With the puppies, no matter how big and strong they are, drinking mastitis from infected nipples can quickly make them very sick. I don't know what the risk is in chinchillas, but I'd be glad to know if anyone knows better.

We ended up moving the kits for safety and because mom stopped drinking. They are being fostered and hand reared ATM and mom's getting some recovery time and seems to be healing well and we're making sure she drinks. Updates will foll

Not to be gross but when I personally had mastitis the best remedy was to nurse my kids on the infected side to keep the breast empty. Tmz is safe for babies. I would keep the babies with mom and handfeed if necessary.

Not to be gross but when I personally had mastitis the best remedy was to nurse my kids on the infected side to keep the breast empty. Tmz is safe for babies. I would keep the babies with mom and handfeed if necessary.

I know it's not really an option with the chinchillas, but with the Milan (our bullmastiff) her puppies were getting sick, it was suggested that we pump her nipples with the mastitis until it cleared and not to let them nurse. Again, I do realize its not an option with the chins ;-) I would still let them nurse, just keep an eye on them.

My goodness, can you imagine trying to pump a chin nipple?

I'm glad to hear that mom seems to be recovery. Hopefully everyone pulls through with flying colours. Are the kits healthy and gaining weight? How's mom's weight?

Latest posts

Back